New truck L5P 3500 or F350?

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
Some changes with my work responsibilities have forced me to buy a new truck. The truck will become my daily driver along with the tow pig. So the Kodiak will go down the road. Either truck will be a 2019 Crew cab Platinum or Denali long box, 4x4. My neighbor has the Super duty and the truck has some amazing technology packed in it, but I still like the ride of the GM truck better. Anyone else compare the two trucks and want to share why they picked one over the other? One thing is the GM is easily 15-20K cheaper!

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
L5P. That’s my vote. I know a guy with a high country Silverado that thing is nice. Rides awesome and good power for stock. I’ve also drove a 6.7 powerstroke not bad but I’m a GM guy and that’s what I would pick.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
When did trucks become luxury vehicles?
People are going to be pissed in 5-8 years when their back massager breaks and it cost 10k to fix

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
They became luxury vehicles when using them as mobile offices became popular. People are spending more and more time in them doing office related work along with truck stuff. The bosses, project managers, etc where buying the higher end ones for the comfort because they spent so much time in them. Then when they go to purchase their own truck they couldn't accept a downgrade to what they drive at work.

Then because that seems to be the truck that was selling more the dealers and manufacturers started pushing for more sales of them. It makes sense to them as the higher end ones have bigger profit margins.

In the end it's really us to blame. If we weren't buying the biggest, badest, nicest trucks on the lot there would be a lot more of the cheaper options available and manufacturers would compete for low cost instead of high cost

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
^ well said. Working field service or having a "mobile" office makes you appreciate the creature comforts of these vehicles. I don't ever see myself buying any vehicle that isn't fully loaded after having all those options. Comfort is worth the price.

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
Yeah this truck has to be my main rig, for business and personal. So looking at both trucks and seeing the benefits of both are important. Cost wise the GM is cheaper but from a feature side the Ford has it beat hands down. I looks like i can add a bunch of cameras to the Denali but still wont be to the level of the Ford. I am more familiar with the Denali drive train but could be with the Ford. The locked down ecu of the LP5 is kind of nice since i wont be able to mess with it much.

Its easily a 70,000$ decision when all things are done and i really wanted to see what people thing of their L5P trucks. I can drive the Ford anytime as my neighbor has one and raves about it and the power towing his 35ft toy hauler. My trailer is only 10k so the truck should be able to handle it with no issue. My other choice is long bed vs short. Can i live with that everyday, knowing it tows best.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Dont the fords still use the CP4 HPFP? Those things scare me

Pretty sure they're still using the bosch system with a cp4 which was the same basic system the lml had. Long term I sure wouldn't want a cp4. Too many people have had to bite the $10K bullet when the cp4 grenades and takes everything with it.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
I have rode in and towed with all of the big 3. owned a 17 l5p and a 17 ram the ram was a better truck all the way around from comfort, luxeries, towing etc. But i really like platinum superduties as well. I dont think i could ever go back to a new gm again unless they really come out with something different.

1thackattack

Diesel enthusiast
Apr 7, 2017
I have been in both, and I can say that they tow pretty similarly, as far as engine power and exhaust braking, so if you can tow a trailer without trailer blindspot monitoring, and you can back a trailer without having your trucks computer back it for you, save your money and go with the gm. And as mentioned by others gm has better resale value.