New to Me '03....with some issues.

03jkjk

Jul 13, 2020
Hey everyone, been lurking for a while and finally decided to post up and ask for some info. Feel free to flame me for not searching too well if this info is already out here somewhere.

I bought a 2003 2500HD with an LB7 in it. It was a screaming deal at $500, so I couldn't turn it down. The truck runs perfectly fine, just had new injectors, new ball joints/tie rod ends, etc., new brake lines, new fuel lines, new fuel tank.

Truck fires right up and idles perfect, no issues there - but it is stuck in neutral. Even if I can't figure the issue out, I'm still money ahead if I decide to part it.

I'm told that it's an electrical issue someplace, but was wondering where to start. Would it be the NSBU or the encoder ring on the transfer case, or do you think it's a bad ground? Just looking for ideas on where to check first before just throwing money at it and hoping it fixes the issue. Let me know your thoughts guys.

Thanks!

03jkjk

Jul 13, 2020
Not sure on that one. I'll have to take a look when I get a moment; I've got the batteries out and charging right now as they were dead when I went to try and fire it up this morning.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Sounds like a lemon... I'll do you a favor and take that off your hands for $1,000 (y)

Just kidding, nice buy and good luck.

03jkjk

Jul 13, 2020
Sounds like a lemon... I'll do you a favor and take that off your hands for $1,000 (y)

Just kidding, nice buy and good luck.

Yeah, I couldn't pass up the price. It's a fully loaded LT with some wiring gremlins so it'll make a nice project. The rockers are rusty and the cab corners are too, but it'll make a good project for now.

03jkjk

Jul 13, 2020
Does the truck give you any messages like "range shift inhibited" or have any codes?

alright - fired it up and here’s what I’ve got going on.
First, the transfer case selector switch has no lights on. The transmission selector will move through all of the gears just fine but I do get the “shift range inhibited” message. It feels like the transfer case is actually stuck in neutral.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Post some codes that you’re getting and we should be able to get you in the right direction. Awesome deal. I wouldn’t pass that up either

03jkjk

Jul 13, 2020
Post some codes that you’re getting and we should be able to get you in the right direction. Awesome deal. I wouldn’t pass that up either
Thanks, appreciate it. I don’t have a way to pull the codes unless there’s a way to do it without a programmer or code reader.

03jkjk

Jul 13, 2020
Update. I checked the fuses and the TREC fuse was blown. Replaced it, now there is power to the 4x4 switch, and it's showing neutral. Now, when I attempt to put it in gear, I get "Service 4 wheel drive" and "Range Shift Inhibited" - and, when cycling through the gears, from reverse to park there is grinding. I put the transmission in Neutral and attempted to change shift the transfer case out of Neutral, no luck. Any ideas?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks, appreciate it. I don’t have a way to pull the codes unless there’s a way to do it without a programmer or code reader.
Then you're just shooting in the dark, and there's no real way anyone can help you other than guesses. Find someone with a Tech2 or similar to help you.

03jkjk

Jul 13, 2020
Then you're just shooting in the dark, and there's no real way anyone can help you other than guesses. Find someone with a Tech2 or similar to help you.
I'm ok with guesses to be completely honest, and I'm ok with throwing a part or two at it simply because I don't have that much invested into it.