NEW PRODUCT: LB7 automatic high-idle add-on

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ive just about finished up developing a new widget for you LB7 guys that you are going to love...with winter and colder weather just around the corner, this is the perfect addition to your 2001-2004 LB7.

Everyone knows about the convenient automatic high-idle that the 2004.5+ LLY/LBZ/LMM/LML duramax's have. Now LB7 guys can have the same luxury. Guys with remote-start will especially appreciate this add-on module because high-idle will automatically be triggered when the truck is remote-started (depending on how your remote start is wired), without having to go outside, set the high-idle, then go back inside while the truck warms up.

The functionality of the automatic high-idle module is basically identical in operation to the 2004.5+ auto high-idle.

If the coolant temperature is below 40* upon engine cold-startup, the module will let the engine idle normally for ~15 seconds, and then automatically engage high-idle. The delay is to allow fluids to get moving through the engine and transmission before increasing rpm. If the coolant temp is below 0* upon engine cold-startup, the module will let the engine idle normally for ~30 seconds before automatically going to high-idle.

The module will continue to allow the engine to high idle until ~170* coolant temp is reached, after which the engine will return to normal curb-idle speed. If the truck is shifted into drive (or brake pedal pressed), the engine will return to curb-idle immediately. If the truck is then shifted back into back and foot released from the brake pedal while the coolant temp is still below 170*, the module will re-engage auto high-idle.

The module is also smart and will remember the last start-up coolant temp. It can automatically set itself for "summer" or "winter" mode. This is a key feature because, if you start the engine below 40*, the module goes to auto high-idle, and then you only drive a short distance, the engine coolant temp would probably be above 40*, but it would not be anywhere near "fully warmed up". If the module was NOT "smart" and didnt remember the last startup coolant temp, high idle would not be automatically engaged if the coolant temp was above 41*.

To make this a bit easier to understand, picture this scenario:

You start the engine after sitting overnight, and the coolant temp is 20*. Because the coolant temp is less than 40*, the module engages auto high idle. Then, after 5 minutes, the engine coolant temp has warmed up to 80* (still on auto high idle though, because coolant temp is below 170*), but you dont have time to wait any longer, so you hop in the truck and drive away. You only drive a short distance, and then park and shut off the truck. Because of the short driving distance, the coolant temp might only be 110*. So, upon restart, the coolant temp (say, its 100* because it was 110* at shutdown, and cooled a bit) IS indeed above the normal 40* threshold, BUT, the module will still engage auto high-idle again anyways because it remembers that the previous startup was below 40*. The auto high-idle module will remain in this "cold-weather mode" until the engine is re-started when the coolant temperature is already above 160*. Anytime the engine is restarted above 160*, the module will go into "warmed up" mode, and will not auto high idle again until the engine is started at less than 40* coolant temp.

It sounds really confusing and hard to follow, but trust me, it all "makes sense" in the real-world application. :)

The other nice feature about the automatic high-idle module is the integrated "smart headlight control". I know many people run HID's, and this feature is essential in order to get the longest possible ballast/bulb life out of your HID headlights. As we all know, these trucks have automatic headlights. During engine cranking, the BCM shuts off the headlights (along with all of the other truck accessories) to give the most possible voltage to the starter motor. However what this means is that, at night time, when you start the truck, the headlights immediately turn on at key-on, then turn off when you start the engine, then turn back on again once the engine is started. This turning "on-off-on" in rapid succession (before the HID's have a chance to warm up) is incredibly harsh on HID ballasts/bulbs, and can shorten the life of them dramatically.

What the auto high-idle module does is temporarily disable the headlights (keep them OFF, even if its night-time at key-on) until the engine is already running. Once the engine is running, the headlights are turned on automatically. The truck's factory automatic headlight operation remains unaffected. Also, the truck's factory approach lights (IE, when you turn off the truck at night, the headlights stay on for 30 seconds etc) are not affected. (2003+ trucks only)

The smart headlight control can be programmed THREE different ways.

1. Disabled completely (the headlights work just like factory, when you turn the key on at night, headlights come on, lights go out during cranking, then come back on)

2. Headlights remain off until engine has started, like what I described above.

3. Headlights remain off until you shift into drive/reverse and begin to drive away. This feature is really nice if you are starting your truck early in the morning, hunting, etc and dont want the lights on while the truck is warming up. For example, you start the truck cold (coolant temp below 40*) early in the morning when its still dark out...headlights stay off...then the module's auto high-idle feature kicks in and the engine goes to high idle. You let the truck sit and high idle for a little while to warm up...headlights stay off...then after 10-15 minutes you go out to the truck, jump in, and step on the brake pedal to shift into reverse to drive off...when you step on the brake pedal, the engine returns down to normal idle and the headlights immediately automatically turn on.

Finally, heated-seat control (2003+ trucks only). When the auto high-idle is activated, the module has the capability of automatically turning on your heated seats at the same time.

Pricing: TBA. Please email/PM me if you are interested in ordering one. I hope to have these ready to ship out ASAP, because I know the cold-weather is already here!!!

thanks
Ben

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Finally, heated-seat control (2003+ trucks only). When the auto high-idle is activated, the module has the capability of automatically turning on your heated seats at the same time.

whats the difficulty in making this work on 01-02 trucks? it would be nice to have that in my truck! :D

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
whats the difficulty in making this work on 01-02 trucks? it would be nice to have that in my truck! :D

I need to figure out how the 01-02 heated seats are switched on and off. The GM wiring schematics dont give enough information about the switching logic for me to figure out how exactly they are triggered on/off.

I just ordered an 01-02 seat heater switch so hopefully I can "reverse engineer" it and incorporate it into the auto high-idle module.

ben

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Ben, would this widget adversley affect efi live flashing events? Im curious as to weather or not this box communicates on the can bus system, would i be constantly pulling fuses to disable it when i flash in a new tune? If the answer is that we can make this work without too much hastle interfering with EFI then i am in on this one.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I need to figure out how the 01-02 heated seats are switched on and off. The GM wiring schematics dont give enough information about the switching logic for me to figure out how exactly they are triggered on/off.

I just ordered an 01-02 seat heater switch so hopefully I can "reverse engineer" it and incorporate it into the auto high-idle module.

ben

Oh i see i see! well i hope its an easy way to do it. id love to have that in my truck and get rid of cold leather seats :D.

dirty-b

KCCO!
Jun 5, 2010
Central MN
I am interested in one!:woott: Let me know the price. Would rather wait til you have the 01-02 heated seats figured out thou.

chaser

crazyasscracker
May 25, 2011
dallas, texas
would this be like the other DIY high idle mod that states around 2200 rpm the throttle would seem to lag a bit? may have read the other mod wrong but iirc it said that in there some where.

im interested in one tho!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
How about just the headlight control feature for 04.5+ trucks?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
i would be interested, just curoius what the idle speed would be and if it would be adjustable.

It would be whatever your PTO speed is set to. Usually 1200rpm or so.

If you want to change the speed that the auto high-idle would go to, you can do that with a Tech 2.