New or Re-Build Steering Box

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Where is your leaking? Mine was leaking by the steering shaft. Put a new seal in it since it was still tight and it's been good. I didn't even do all the seals on that side just the easy one and it's held so far.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I need to take a closer look but from just a glance it seems to be coming out around the shaft on the bottom. My box is still good and tight though...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If the seal kit is easy to find and not expensive, that would be the first direction I would go. Nothing to lose by trying to fix what you already have.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the sector shaft seal means you need to do a complete tear down to replace it (thats the seal you think is leaking). the hardest part of that process is gettin all the balls back in the case and not letting the worn gear travel so far you cant finish putting them in. its not hard, just a little finicky. use vasoline to hold the balls in place at the end.

Make sure you mark the bearing nut that holds preload on the input shaft bearing so you dont overtorque it, good way to kill the box (did that years ago on my original). beyond that, its just messy.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
So I decided to just replace the whole steering gear with a blue top unit, I absolutely love it! I had no idea the steering could be this tight on an obs truck. I was not impressed with the customer service at all but the box seems excellent, I have around 1,500 miles on it so far.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Is anyone getting good mileage out of any of the remans like PSC or blue top?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Is anyone getting good mileage out of any of the remans like PSC or blue top?
One of my customers has ~45k on his PSC box and it's still as tight as day 1. I've never had good luck with Red Top/Blue Top reman boxes holding up long term but that is my experience, I know many people have had good luck with them.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Just curious how you sourced this Josh. When I ran the number at rockauto below was the fitment. In fact, they don’t even list any ac delco for the classic trucks
CHEVROLETSUBURBAN2016-2017
CHEVROLETSUBURBAN 3500 HD2018-2019
84400715 bought this from Rock Auto for $290ish last month and installed it on an 08 dually.
Options on Rockauto were cardone Edelman lares and BBB. Anyone have experience with any of these either rebuilt or new?

Edit: just stumbled across this thread that answered a lot of questions. https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/01-10-steering-box-redhead-psc-oem.82567/

Gonna try the BBB I think.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Installed a PSC XD in buddies ’03 the other day. Bit of a bitch. Came with an aluminum adapter fitting for the one hose for some reason. Turfed that right away as it wasn’t going to fit.

Also had to bend the one steering hose 90 degrees off the fitting so it would clear the hot pipe. Not a fan of the $1150 CAN price tag either. Steers nice though.

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Installed a PSC XD in buddies ’03 the other day. Bit of a bitch. Came with an aluminum adapter fitting for the one hose for some reason. Turfed that right away as it wasn’t going to fit.

Also had to bend the one steering hose 90 degrees off the fitting so it would clear the hot pipe. Not a fan of the $1150 CAN price tag either. Steers nice though.

IMO there isn't a better steering setup available for these trucks than the PSC box/pump combo.