New ML converter

dmax lb7

EFI Ignorant
Feb 21, 2008
Rohnert Park Nor-Cal
This converter suprised me. I just installed it on an LB7 with Pat's big tune and it launches very hard. When it hit 2nd, it blew the tires off. I ran this tune on my LB7 with a 1054 SC converter and it didn't make power off the line like this truck. I thought it was just the way Pat tuned it. Now I know different. I think this converter will increase mileage the way it couples ( if you can keep your foot out of it ).
At this point I'm calling it a performance converter as I don't know how well it will tow compaired to the ML.

This converter is unbelievable. It couples great and launches a-lot better than it used to. I am also running Pats small tune. Can't wait for it to finish relearning to try his big tune. I have a feeling they are going to love me at the tire store :D I will have to wait till summer to see how it does towing. As usual a great product and job from Mike.

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
My buddy just got this converter installed and its just nasty. Very nice peice. I have the original ML and I can tell a difference in the way that it couples and hits. Highly recommended buy

JRODS*LB7

Feb 1, 2012
SE Massachusetts
Forge me for asking,when you say "cOUPLE" do you mean how fast power is transfered from converter to trans? If so would it be harsher on the driveline? u-joints and such?:confused:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Forge me for asking,when you say "cOUPLE" do you mean how fast power is transfered from converter to trans? If so would it be harsher on the driveline? u-joints and such?:confused:
He's talking about the way the fluid coupling characteristics are. The torque converter transfers power using fluid only until the clutches lock. Some converters are way loose and the power just seems to blow through the converter until the clutches lock and some just seem to put the power to the ground better unlocked. When the clutches lock there all the same. I hope what i'm saying is right I think its close anyway.

JRODS*LB7

Feb 1, 2012
SE Massachusetts
He's talking about the way the fluid coupling characteristics are. The torque converter transfers power using fluid only until the clutches lock. Some converters are way loose and the power just seems to blow through the converter until the clutches lock and some just seem to put the power to the ground better unlocked. When the clutches lock there all the same. I hope what i'm saying is right I think its close anyway.

So a tighter converter on a launch ,except it doesnt nudge you forward at a red light correct?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So a tighter converter on a launch ,except it doesnt nudge you forward at a red light correct?

tight and loose converters wont affect your truck while in gear at idle under braking. The new TCs efficency to put power to the ground is better than the old ML when not locked under certain circumstances/truck build. that make a bit more sense?