New here

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
I am new also from finger lakes area. Also have done ALOT of reading here about the attempt I am making. Would also like to thank everyone for posting their builds and detailed process.I may need some advice soon as well with my build.

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
Thanks,,, I will post pics as soon as i can figure how to, and will also likely have parts to get rid of as well. I acquired my first Dmax in trade deal, it was quite the basket case. Then picked up another Dmax running with turbo issue for reference and possibly switch things around maybe try to make into daily driver or more. Trying to get the first Dmax finished up now- 05 GMC 3500 crew cab 4x4 dually (the basket case)- Lbz bolted in need to finish pining harness yet. May need little advice as the info reading can be a little confusing. Thanks

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved your posts into their own Intro thread.

Look in the "Hard Parts" LBZ section for info. The search function here is pretty good, too.

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
Thanks. Hopefully I can keep up with you guys here, your trucks are pretty nice compared to mine. It's been a hard crash corse in these duramax's for me this past year trying to figure out what will/wount work for me. Finding parts has been tough without nearly giving up and the prices on used engines, wow. You definitely need to do your homework before getting into something new. My luck, I get a truck they only made the engine one year pretty much. :banghead:

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
Alright guys, I am new to posting forums and asking q's here..... Do I keep this thread going for me or do i post a new thread? ? I would like confirmation as I am attempting to swap a LBZ in place of LLY. From reading the repining of c100 and c2, mine seems to be a little different. I will take pics of my truck harness tonight to show if will help... Thanks for any advice...

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Alright guys, I am new to posting forums and asking q's here..... Do I keep this thread going for me or do i post a new thread? ? I would like confirmation as I am attempting to swap a LBZ in place of LLY. From reading the repining of c100 and c2, mine seems to be a little different. I will take pics of my truck harness tonight to show if will help... Thanks for any advice...
You should start a new thread

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
Anyways guys, my name is ben. Umm, i like to hunt, fish, camp, pretty outdoorsy. Been born n raised country pretty much, just don't like country music.lol. Been as gasser my whole life until recently (a year ago) traded my project car for my first dmax. Always been a chevy guy, always worked to pay for my toys and play. My current daily is a 01 sierra 1500 Z71, I purchased back in 03 with 42,000 miles and we are at 389,000 miles today. I have always done all my own work, my own mods. I love my truck it will be hard to let it go, 6 gf's and a kid later you could never ask anything of my truck not to do. I have put her thru hell and back. But its time to upgrade more into a work truck that will haul my bobcat and yet get into the field to get firewood. Few more posts and i can add pics. Thanks whoever reads.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

Best to ask about the swap in the "Repower/Transplant" section, and anything LBZ related in the LBZ section of Hard Parts (same with your LLY). Pretty easy to figure out.

I think there is already a thread detailing the wiring pin outs for the LBZ swap done by either member rfletes or member rpmmotorsports. Use the search for that.

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
I will look into their threads see if is what I have been reading about. I think I got it, I would just like to confirm the repining before I dare try to start it. Just that I have extra wires and have maybe a slightly different situation with my swap.

Here it is; Truck I'm trying to save is 05 Gmc 3500 crew cab dually 4x4 flatbed, power windows, vin2, engine was out missing a head and up on one side and found turbo had caught fire toasting some wires,,, the donor truck is 06 Chevy 2500 ext cab 2wd vin2 with a/c but manual windows.Donor truck ran great, but was rusted in half pretty much and was a town service truck.

So, I have completely stripped the 3500 down to frame, sandblasted and chassy saver complete frame and under the cab itself. I used the rear housing and planetary gears and harness from the 05 (made my own spline tool for the nut on tailshaft),that part of swap was pretty easy. I used complete harness and fuse box from 06 along with radiators and supports and headlight wiring, and of course engine tranny ecm tcm.
The 05 3500 had an airdog 165 on it but no relay or any kinda harness besides wires directly to pump, but I can figure that out. The truck also came with autocal by Duramax tuner, had synister diesel egr blocker plates(do not fit lbz of course) and some kinda agriculture truck tuner with 4 position switch in the dash. I have purchased new filters and reusing the airdog, I made my own EGR blocker plates then pulled up pipe and cut/welded pipe to EGR below the flexible Bellow part. I purchased 3" down pie mprb or whatever and is installed as well. Cab is on, everything is ready to fire pretty much just stuck on repining. I know I will likely need to get some tunes due to difference in truck sizes. I just want a reliable decent fuel mileage work type truck for towing and daily driving.

Have read Soo much here you guys are great at posting, hopefully I can help someone out in the future here.

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
When I did egr delete. Wow, unbelievable how much black sutt is in there. Before egr--nothing, after egr--was a black ring 3/8 thick choking it surely. I did not take y-bridge off but I got best I could then used shop vac with garden hose in end to get any loose chunks I may have knocked off. Talk about hands dirty, wow crazy. Ohh and the synister diesel blocker plates from lly Do Not fit lbz, there are close. I run a CNC plasma table at work so I burned out my own plates 3/8 thick tapped to 10mm bolt thread I think. I did also plug the EGR back in currently but tied it to the side if you will, to try avoid any ruff running condition or codes. But yeah, just can't believe how much the EGR can plug up the intake system.

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
That is the thread I been working with. Just I have no "M" wire to move and do I just take "R" out and leave it? There is another thread about splicing "c" to "n", gets lil confusing. Gonna try again tonight.
I am going to put them back and start over again, I have another 06 dmax stock I can pull side by side and compare and I need the batteries so I can try to fire this old girl anyways.
Thanks for everyone's help ! !

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
picture.php
Here is my truck guys,,,, Thanks to all you posting everything I have completed the swap by myself... Now, to get rid of these lly parts and get me some tunes, hint, hint... Please feel free to ask me anything or look at my other pictures.