New guy on campus!

Steve floriano

Jun 5, 2020
California
Hello everyone! I just purchased a 2011 dmax 4x4 crew cab with 70k on it. The truck drives and rides amazing! I live in the great state of California ( sarcasm) I looked a little around on the forum cause I keep seeing/hearing about the EGR delete. I was not able to find the information im looking for (sorry if I didnt look hard enough) If I do a egr delete does that mean im supposed to delete the exhaust also? Cause then im not able to smog the truck here. Im new to the diesel world any help would be greatly appreciated!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Welcome aboard

Deleting emissions equipment is not really endorsed here as it is illegal and will fail the smog check. But to answer your question, no, an egr delete does not mean deleting the exhaust. You will need some aftermarket exhaust components and software changes to do it though

Reactions: Steve floriano

Steve floriano

Jun 5, 2020
California
Welcome aboard

Deleting emissions equipment is not really endorsed here as it is illegal and will fail the smog check. But to answer your question, no, an egr delete does not mean deleting the exhaust. You will need some aftermarket exhaust components and software changes to do it though
Thank you for the information. If I leave the egr system on is there a upgrade kit you recommend? Just curious on your input. thank you for your time!

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thank you for the information. If I leave the egr system on is there a upgrade kit you recommend? Just curious on your input. thank you for your time!

There really isn't an upgrade to the EGR system that can be done. Some companies sell supposedly better EGR coolers but the later style stuff is pretty darn reliable. Same with the CAT/DPF/DEF, it has come leaps and bounds since the early systems and isn't anywhere near as failure prone.

Steve floriano

Jun 5, 2020
California
There really isn't an upgrade to the EGR system that can be done. Some companies sell supposedly better EGR coolers but the later style stuff is pretty darn reliable. Same with the CAT/DPF/DEF, it has come leaps and bounds since the early systems and isn't anywhere near as failure prone.
Thank you for the information! But isnt the 2011 dmax prone to having problems with the egr / def system cause its the first yr of def? or am I getting wrong info?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thank you for the information! But isnt the 2011 dmax prone to having problems with the egr / def system cause its the first yr of def? or am I getting wrong info?

The early DEF systems had some issues but nothing crazy. The fact still remains there are not any available upgrades for them. You're stuck with that design/parts. Replacement/repair parts are available from new EGR coolers to supposedly upgraded EGR coolers that are more robust but that really is about it.

Reactions: Steve floriano

Steve floriano

Jun 5, 2020
California
The early DEF systems had some issues but nothing crazy. The fact still remains there are not any available upgrades for them. You're stuck with that design/parts. Replacement/repair parts are available from new EGR coolers to supposedly upgraded EGR coolers that are more robust but that really is about it.
copy that thank you again !