Need some 60ft advice

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
Took my truck to the local track For the first time since last year and made a bunch of changes. They were running a funny car circuit so it was 1/8th mile and traction was not an issue. I ran a 6.73 @ 106 with a 1.62 60 ft I have qa1s single adjustable all the way around with coil overs in the front. I set the back shocks stiff and I have brackets welded to the frame under the upper control arm with a 3/4 bolt going up towards the bottom of the arm as a suspension stop.looking at pictures and videos the front end is completely unloading until it hits the stops which is about 4.5 inches. I’ve done as much research and googling as I can about setting the suspension up but should I put longer bolts in the front end to keep it from lifting up as much? Thanks in advance.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
You don’t want any stops anywhere. You need to get the rear end to rise with caltracs or traction bars

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Front end needs as much rebound control in it as possible (full stiff) but the sad part is now the front end after launching will not drop down as quickly as it should. This is where dual adjustable are best

Rear should not be full stiff, maybe halfway with cal tracs added in.

You also need to make sure your front end is not toeing in at all.

On a good tire, prep, converter and power output, you can run 1.4’s or 1.3’s all day long.

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
Ok so I’ll try putting longer bolts in my front suspension stops to limit the rebound. Try the rear shocks adjusted only half way on the leaf springs I only have the 2 main leafs and the helper spring clamped to them so I never had any problems with hopping but I guess I’ll order some cal tracs and ditch the helper. And as far as the front end toeing in My truck sits so low I don’t even know if it could lift the front end up enough to toe it in.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think James is referring to the tie rods bending during launch. not geometry changes from the front end lifting

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Don’t try to limit rebound, work with it. You need to control it, not stop it. Hence cal tracs and valving.

Your front end will still toe in regardless of how beefed up the front is. 1/4” of toe out at ride height helps mitigate this issue but video will tell all. Don’t take what I say without properly applying it. Just like tuning an engine, you gotta pay attention to the chassis and make small tweaks if you are new to this. Big jumps won’t tell you much and could potentially put you into the wall

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
I had cal tracs and all the steering up grades with a straight center link on my last truck and it was over a second slower then my current one. But would run a little quicker 60ft I also had smaller slicks on it I have a little taller drag radials now. But I’ll never put a straight center link on anything again I hated driving it.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Front end needs as much rebound control in it as possible (full stiff) but the sad part is now the front end after launching will not drop down as quickly as it should. This is where dual adjustable are best

Rear should not be full stiff, maybe halfway with cal tracs added in.

You also need to make sure your front end is not toeing in at all.

On a good tire, prep, converter and power output, you can run 1.4’s or 1.3’s all day long.

1.3x 60ft is super hard to get with a Allison. I've only seen like 4 trucks pull it off.

To the OP. Every truck we switched from caltracs to hillbilly bars we've seen a huge gain. I like caltracs better on 2wd. But on a 4wd you can keep the front end planted better with long bars.

Also like said above. Rebound helps a lot. Slow the front end down. Also try different tire pressures. Sometimes a little spin helps more then a dead hook.

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
never woulda guessed that with the long bars I’ve never really looked in to them.. and my local track always runs sportsman tree I think that’s what’s it’s called when it’s not pro tree so I start as shallow as possible but by the time I’m spooled I’m having to let up from red lighting from pushing through.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
1.3x 60ft is super hard to get with a Allison. I've only seen like 4 trucks pull it off.

To the OP. Every truck we switched from caltracs to hillbilly bars we've seen a huge gain. I like caltracs better on 2wd. But on a 4wd you can keep the front end planted better with long bars.

Also like said above. Rebound helps a lot. Slow the front end down. Also try different tire pressures. Sometimes a little spin helps more then a dead hook.

I’ve set a couple up. Takes everything dialed in and the right combos but it can be done. I’m talkin high 1.3’s though. Best I’ve ever seen was 1.38