Need help

Boudreaulb7

Dec 26, 2021
I have a 2003 lb7 duramax. Other day it quit on me and I had a hard time starting it back up. Rebuilt the filter housing, new line from the housing the the ficm, new filter and drain on the bottom of the filter. Now I’m at the point where I need to pump the primer 2-3 times and it will start. It will run all day long if I keep the revs up but will die as soon as I let off the throttle. And again I need to prime it only 2-3 times to start back up. Any suggestions?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to LB7 section. Time to make an adapter for the fuel filler neck or use something to plug the neck, then add slight positive air pressure into the system thru the neck to see if you can find where the air leak is. Easier with a helper.
Also, sometimes the filter head is past a rebuild fixing it.

Boudreaulb7

Dec 26, 2021
Nope no lift pump, and I have a new filter housing on the way, hopefully get it tomorrow or the next day

Boudreaulb7

Dec 26, 2021
Ended up putting a new filter housing on and that didn’t fix it. I had a second hand motor so decided to try the cp3 from that one in to mine. Truck is doing close to the same thing. Only think now before it dies it’ll lope very slow and slower until it shuts off. If I keep priming it it will stay running