Need Help scoring a dyno competition.....suggestions on rules.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I am helping to put on a dyno contest with some really great payouts over $1000 dollars. It is going to replace a fairly large contest that may not go on this year. I need help coming up with a fair way to score the contest so that everyone has a chance to participate and compete. My thought at this point is rather than have multiple classes and prizes, I want to come up with a scoring system.

So far I have come up with all trucks are rated on horsepower and torque per cubic inch of displacement with a multiplier for power adders.

So a single turbo,single pump truck on full only will get 100% of the power per cubic inch.
A duel fueler may decrease the multiplier to 80%, twin turbos and dual fueler to 60%, and so on.
The only truck I see a problem with is a single turbo p pumped truck because it would have a huge advantage.
The percentages and multipliers are estimates and I need help coming up with hard numbers.
The rules and multipliers will be posted far in advance, and I really want to avoid teching turbo's if possible.
I also want to give out some novelty prizes for best sound, cleanest spooling, etc so everybody has a chance to win a prize, but I still want to draw some really powerful trucks so the big money will be for the winners, or best dyno tuner's.

What do you guys feel would be fair. How does a scoring system like this make you feel if you have a stockish truck or a built truck?

Thanks for any input in advance. And I am totally open to all suggestion's right now, this was just an idea.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
If you get too many rules involved no one will show.

Ive always used:

Stock turbo-fuel only
single class-fuel only
twin class-fuel only
unlimited (anything goes)

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland

Ive always used:

Stock turbo-fuel only
single class-fuel only
twin class-fuel only

I was worried about that too, the more rules the more to complain about.

Is the stock turbo class stock appearing, or stock cast wheel period, and if so how do you enforce?

Scoring system? GTFO... Brian's model is what is often used.

And you have a built truck from what I have read you post before.

So you don't want tuned trucks competing with you, or do you think the rules just make it too complicated?
Thank You for your opinion.

Last edited:

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
I think it sounds too complicated honestly. Are you trying to avoid a winner in each class or something and have one overall? I have a stock truck and wouldnt expect to compete with a built truck even with handicaps or multipliers on my side

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I think it sounds too complicated honestly. Are you trying to avoid a winner in each class or something and have one overall? I have a stock truck and wouldnt expect to compete with a built truck even with handicaps or multipliers on my side

I wanted to be able to have a huge payout. But I also don'twant anyone to feel lleftout.

I have always done classes like Brian said in the past. I was looking at some different options this year.

How about the novelty prizes.
Does anyone have any suggestions.

I could do stock fuel only and outlaw/unlimited.
Then a few novelty prizes to try and include everyone.

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
You could still do a highest HP or tq prize and have a big payout. Anyone with a chance at that probably deserves it, they put thousands more into their trucks than I did my stock one. I don't see it unfair to do it like that. Novelty prizes could be fun for everyone.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Honestly how pissed would you be if your completely built truck lost to some stock bottom end truck because of the rules. Classes are the only way to be fair and include everyone.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Just like Brian said....

also no shift spikes. Its always been best out of 3 pulls...then you get the ones that get that extra 1 or 2 pulls cause they didn't get the turbo lit how they wanted...well too damn bad. 3 pulls no exceptions.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Sounds like someone spent a lot of time coming up with something that is pointless and complicated. I highly doubt with those rules you'll get anyone to pay to get on the dyno.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT

Ive always used:

Stock turbo-fuel only
single class-fuel only
twin class-fuel only

Exactly. You want people to go and have fun. Not feel like they're taking a math exam. Winning is an added bonus for most people

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
To many rules to complicated equals no participants. Take all the fun out of it. You have to have classes no way around it you can't deduct percentages to make it one class.

Also no spikes , highest pull of 3 , no icing the Inter-Cooler by any means.There is a couple things I can't recall at the moment

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
You gotta have that 4th open class.

I was going to do:
Single cp3 or pump no injectables
Dual pumps no injectables
Outlaw/open

3 runs, no spikes, best pull of 3.

I don't know how to do "stock". I don't want to tech turbo's and there are stoker pumps etc. Its too hard to decide what is stock.

I would consider a showroom stock which means stock intake, stock exhaust and stock os part number in the ecm, ie no tuners.
Do you think that would draw any interest?

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I was going to do:
Single cp3 or pump no injectables
Dual pumps no injectables
Outlaw/open

3 runs, no spikes, best pull of 3.

I don't know how to do "stock". I don't want to tech turbo's and there are stoker pumps etc. Its too hard to decide what is stock.

I would consider a showroom stock which means stock intake, stock exhaust and stock os part number in the ecm, ie no tuners.
Do you think that would draw any interest?

It seems like that only covers common rails.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
12 valve guys have a 900cc 13mm p pump and compounds...pump looks stock and they throw down 1200hp in the stock class...great. Sounds about as crooked as NADM out here is utah.