My personal experience with 72R-vgt to SXE369 swap.

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
theres been a lot of talk lately about going with a fixed vane charger. To start off, ive tried almost everything besides compounds as far as turbos go. this truck has seen stock turbo, Fleece billet 68, DTS 71.5, and the latest danville 72R vgt. on a built motor/trans truck, mods are in my signature. So far the truck before the 72r was on had lots of issues with overheating and towing was almost impossible with it on the hot months. Current hand calculated MPG with the danville 72r and other vgts was roughly 12 in town and 15-16 on the highway. Pulling a gooseneck the EGTs were around 1000-1350 constantly. Kory tuned also. spoolup was very fast, snappy and had great mid RPM range power. although the turbo brake was near non existent. suncoast 1058 converter also.

After switching the the sxe369/73/t4 i went with a wherli fab install kit along with an hx40 downpipe. Everything got wrapped in header wrap and also had a turbo blanket put on. Plugged the oil galley and went with a side of the block oil feed. switched to LBZ runners along with lbz DHD bridge. Switched to Starlite for tuning at the time also. The truck seems to get on the highway 18-21mpg hand calculated if i set the cruise and drive respectfully. itll build mid 50's in boost and be a little more smokey than the DTS and danville chargers but it lights a good bit faster than the vgts before. Coolant temps don't seem to be any issue and stay lower than before. The truck sounds much different and has less whistle, but nearly no exhaust drone at all. So far i love this charger as far as drive ability goes and is much more fun on the street than a vgt ive had in the past. People aren't joking when the say fixed vane chargers are the only way to go!
I will post findings on how it tows a loaded goose-neck after this weekend. so far this charger is great and seems to be the best all around charger.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I have yet drove or rode in a vvt truck that made me say wow. On forums people swear by them but I am still sold on the cheap bw chargers.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Was gonna say I swapped from a 366 kory tuned to 68r kory tuned. Hated both and was pretty irritated. Picked up the phone and called mark and got some tunes...love my truck again

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I'm driving my old lb7 with HTT s366 and SS housing, gawd I hate it! No comparison to the 68r! Not to mention the awful sounding brap at wot. I can't get my LMM back soon enough...Wolf

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
Not bashing anyone but I will definitely never own another modified VGT turbo again. I wasn't really impressed with the 72r compared to the fleece 68 cheetah or dts71.5. Either way the fixed vane chargers you can tell the truck runs way smoother and effortlessly compared to having high drive pressures em with vgts. I fact I like the best is the sxe line comes standard with 360* thrust bearings while danvilles vgt are standard power max turbines vanes and 270* bearings. Not throwing stones at all just stating a compare and contrast

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
I also sent many data logs to kory and dialed in my previous 72r. It drove smooth and did good on the street but hands down sxe369 if you're looking for very similar spool up but insane top end power

Hernpj01

On a Time Out
Sep 23, 2014
Indiana
my vgt chargers from mark and marks tuning kick ass paired with evans converter.

That 1058 will be better for the fixed single

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Kory couldn't tune my truck with a 3794 or my 68r. After months of arguing with him I drove down to mark and he fixed ithe in an hour. Kory gave me a refund after dozens of emails blaming hard parts.

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
I've daily driven my Danville 72 both as a single and twinned, on big injectors (225% over) and on small injectors (45% over). I've run many fixed vane turbo configurations and my experience is that it is hard to beat a properly tuned VGT for an all around performance and utility. I'm downsizing back to stock but I'm still going back with a VGT.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I also sent many data logs to kory and dialed in my previous 72r. It drove smooth and did good on the street but hands down sxe369 if you're looking for very similar spool up but insane top end power

IMHO, you changed too many variables (one of which is a major one) to say that the fixed vane is so much better than the variable vane. I love both as both have their places in a truck but you are not comparing apples to apples here when you changed up tuning.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I hate to say it dirtymax, but sounds like your tuner was a big part of your problem. That's not to say you wouldn't be more happy with a fixed vane. Just that you shouldn't see those kind of changes just by changing turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
IMHO, you changed too many variables (one of which is a major one) to say that the fixed vane is so much better than the variable vane. I love both as both have their places in a truck but you are not comparing apples to apples here when you changed up tuning.

Speaking of tuning... Do you still have that limo tow tune? :cool:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Also, IMHO compounds on a VVT that is tuned/sized properly are almost un-beatable for a do everything truck. Although I think the new SXE line is pretty badass, they just need to be paired up with a VVT:D

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
Definitely not saying I hated the vgt, I enjoy how they spooled and ran. I was intending on going over to mark to have it tuned but I couldn't justify the cost of tuning plus a 6 hour one way drive. I've heard many good things about Starlite tuning and theither fixed vane charger tuning

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Speaking of tuning... Do you still have that limo tow tune? :cool:

yup!

Also, IMHO compounds on a VVT that is tuned/sized properly are almost un-beatable for a do everything truck. Although I think the new SXE line is pretty badass, they just need to be paired up with a VVT:D

agreed though im about to see if a stock/modded IHI and bullseye 483 can break the 1000hp mark reliably. if so, thats a hell of a spread that that setup can do!

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Mark has never even seen my truck and it runs like a raped ape. I had other tuning in the past but nobody compares to Mark when it comes to getting these modded VGTs to make power.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Every nonstock truck kory tuned I have expirence with ran like a smoky pos. The big diffrence you are expirecing is actual tuning skill, not social media prowess/facebook bs....