My New Kenworth

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I think it would look pretty sick with the horns relocated and the clearance lights shaved. Nice smooth roof lines. But it's definitely gonna be a badass project!

Great minds think alike. that is my plan. I want to shave the door handles too. Maybe suicide doors if I get bored. Who knows.

If your gonna chop the top you should do it on an angle so it's raked a bit. Like the one in the new diesel power. Looks sick:)

I thought about it but dont know. i wouldnt do that much of a rake though.

Mind me asking what you paid for that? Does it run and drive?

$1,000. Needs a new oil cooler and it will run and drive.

Ever see the movie Duel? :happy2:

Yes and many of my friends hate me because I would make them watch it with me. I like the movie, many think its dumb. But the 281 Pete in that movie is pretty badass looking.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
For a W900 yes it is, or for any Kenworth for that matter. Its basically salvage price, actually a little lower. i was finding ones with no motors for more than that.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
it was a farmer that we have done some work for. he had it sitting in the weeds and didnt want to fix it. it wasnt listed for sale, i just told him i wanted it and gave him a price. One mans junk is another mans treasure.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I told you that was the Smokey and the Bandit truck. :thumb:

It'll sure be a fun project, Vince!

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
here are some pics of our 79 kw we redone it all last year wanted to extend it but we still use it to much in and out of our fields

Attachments

• kw1.jpg
    kw1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 84
  • kw2.jpg
    kw2.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 70
  • kw3.jpg
    kw3.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 61
  • kw4.jpg
    kw4.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 71
  • kw5.jpg
    kw5.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 67

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Well The Kenworthless Lives.

Finally done with harvest and have some time so yesterday I went digging for a used Oil cooler and found one locally, then came back and steamed it off last night and then drug it into the shop. Charged up the air system with the shop air and worked on fixing the leaks and such and figuring out what doesnt work. I need a New E6 Foot valve and im trying to get the rest of the foot brake to free up otherwise I may need those parts too, but the E6 valve needs replacing, something about it being the part that stops the truck makes me want to replace it instead of "make it work".

Then charged the batterys up and started finding out what electrical issues there were and to my suprise there were very few. 2 burnt out clearance lights, half of the dash gauge lights burnt out and for some reason when I charge up the air system the right blinker stays on, shouldnt be too hard to figure out though. Power Probe IIIs are the best invention ever.

If you remember from my original post, the oil cooler was supposedly bad because it froze over winter. But the previous owner also thought that he remembered it shooting oil everywhere. This didnt really add up to me much so i decided I would try to start the engine first to see where the issue actually was. The coolant crossover pipe from the oil cooler to the block was disconnected and the cooling system was drained.

I went to start the truck but the batteries didnt have it in them. So this morning I tried again and after about 5 cranks it fired right up. Good Ol Cummins. (Every Time is their slogan right;)) I tapped the throttle then shut it down. Then looked under the truck and saw a 5 gallon puddle of oil. Yep there is oil getting into the cooling system somehow, and since I already bought an Oil cooler that is my first step. But if the oil cooler doesnt fix it I have some big problems and a huge boat anchor. I didnt really want the motor anyways though. After running the SN off of the motor I learned it was an NTC290. After running the SN off of the new injection pump that was put on it I learned that it was an NTC335 pump. And since 76 was the year they switched to the Big Cam the Lady at Cummins couldnt tell me if it was a Big Cam or not. Now I knew on BCIV and BCIIIs that BIG CAM was cast into the camshaft side of the block but didnt know if the BCI and BCIIs were that way. So i after chatting with the old mechanic at the shop where I got the Oil cooler from I learned that my motor was a Small Cam. He said the most obvious difference is the cam follower windows, the Big Cam windows are nearly twice as big.

The same shop has an 8v92TA 435hp that they rebuilt and want $3,500 for since they've been sitting on it for awhile. I told them I was interested in it and maybe trading them my Small Cam Cummins if it was worth much to them.The 8v92 doesnt have a Jake but I would put one on it.

So really overall this truck is turning out to be less of a project to get to run than I thought it wouldve been.

Ive had big plans for it and such, but now that its running (sorta) and im starting to see some progress Ive come back to reality and would like to have this truck finished within a year.

My current plan for this finished product is this,

Find a Pete Low Air Leaf Cutoff to replace the Reyco Spring I have now and set the truck at about a 280" wheelbase or so. Then fill all of the holes in the frame that are not used.
Better 24.5" aluminum wheels all the way around.
New 24.5 Low Pro Bridgestones all the way around.
Big Drop Bumper for the front
Gangster drop Bowtie visor
Fiberglass Rear Fenders
Paint the Frame Gloss Lime Green or Gloss Blaze orange, leaning towards the green though. Also paint the KW hood pull and emblems on the side as well as a few of the grille pieces (cant decide which ones to paint yet).
Paint the Hood, cab, visor, fenders and some grille pieces flat black.
Accent the rest of the truck with lime green and chrome tastefully.
Install 7 or 8" Mitre Cut Stacks "underframe" and as tall as possible.
get the fuel tanks refinished so they look purty.
Hide the air tanks, air dryer and batterys inside the frame rails underneath the catwalk/deckplate.
Add some chicken lights as necessary but tastefully, maybe some green underglo too.
Tint the windows

Basically the look Im going for is going to be the wheels, fuel tanks, bumper, stacks, and a couple of other little things will be polished, the frame and such will be lime green, the hood, cab, visor and fenders will be flat black and the rest will come together using one of these three colors.

Mechanically I want to put in a 2stroke detroit. And while I had big ideas of a 12v71, 12v92 and even a 16v92 I think an 8v92 will end up working great and it will stay goblin green even if it is a sliver series. I will probably put twins on it though more for looks than anything.

The 9spd will have to get ditched. I would prefer to put a 5+4 or 6+4 in it, will I hate driving it. Nope because it will be a sunday cruiser not a worker. But I would settle for a 15spd OD or 13spd.

Interior will be fairly simple. Wood Floor, LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW riding seats, a nice sound system and the rest I havent decided on yet, but its not going to be anything too flashy just simple yet tasteful.

In the end I think it will be a nice looking truck that will still leave me enough money and time leftover to put into the pulling truck and other things.

heres a pic of it today, I got frustrated with something so decided to polish a wheel to give me a sense of accomplishment.

IMAG0006.jpg

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
10 spd. with double reduction for alot of torque low side's like the 15 or is at some places once they like the starts in LL to L and out.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I like those old A models. My neighbor has one that he uses everyday still hauling stone:thumb: He's a pic of the W900-L that I drive

Nice:thumb:

W9Ls are nice trucks too but Im not much of a fan of the dash that the Bs and Ls (and T8s and T6s) had until 06. The 03-05 dash I can tolerate though but the 06+ dash is my favorite dash of any truck out there. #1 reason I would buy a KW 100 times before a Pete. petes new dash is plain boring except for the soft touch feature.