My first tune file created for the LLY

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
Hi guys,

I created my first tune file, it is the Mcrats 20/20 tune, with some performance adjustments in the Boost Tables vs fooling the boost tables like Mcrats does. I did use Mcrats Pilot Injection tables like it has in that post, but I also updated the Max Injected Quantity tables as well, there are three of those in the Main Injection calibrations. Does anyone in their spare time want to check it out and give me some feedback if people do that on here? Just trying to get feedback on my understanding of tuning the Diesels. I have tuned Turbo Gassers in the Rally world, but Diesels are a different breed. SO any pointers and feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am uploading 2 files. Everyone knows the Mcrats 20/20 tune, but I followed this other guy on here and his performance tune for his LLY, so I have uploaded that file as well. His is labeled TrevorLortie(https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35092), and mine is named Brutus... LOL.

THanks in advance,

Attachments

• TrevorLortie_LLYStockTrans_PerformanceTune.tun
    626.3 KB · Views: 11
  • BrutusStockPCM.FuelTankAdjustment.SpeedoAdjustment.MCRats2020.MyBoostTorqueTablesInjection.NoEGR.ctz
    413 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I’m not too familiar with lly tuning but I’m glad to see there are still folks out there willing to try it on their own so kudos to ya for that.

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
Thank you to both.

It doesn't look TOO bad. But I can already tell you its gonna shift like dog doodoo.

Can you elaborate why? I didnt play with any of the torque tables. I did adjust both transmission and Engine in respects to the bigger tires...

Thanks in advance

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Looks to me like you altered the throttle base injection quantity which will mess with the shifts. If you want to alter that table you need to make the appropriate changes to the torque limited injection quantity and the base torque tables

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
I see, Ok. Thanks for the update. Did you by chance look at those tables? I made very small adjustment. I am still learning all the Diesel stuff, and just trying to understand the definitions and what they do. For now, I will put those tables back to stock...

If you have time, double check the tables your referencing I don't think I made changes, but then again, I was overwhelmed with trying to understand the other guys tune and what he did vs the comments made in his thread towards that very subject of bad shifting...

Also, I though when you elevated or raised the boost, you need to make adjustments to the torque tables...

Thanks again,

Last edited:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
If you're writing a single tune file, I wouldn't get too caught up in updating the base tq table for every small thing you change.

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
Well it wont let me update my original post to add in this revision. I Have updated per conversation in this thread as well as things I have come across in reading. Trying to understand the exhaust break VVT setup at the moment, so far I just have the Idle section adjusted for VVT... So if anyone can point me to a thread that actually clarifies how to set up the exhaust break utilizing the VVT would be much appreciated.

Here is the updated tune revision 2:

Attachments

• REV.2.BrutusStockPCM.FuelTankAdjustment.SpeedoAdjustment2.MCRats2020.MyBoost2.VVTLow.NoEGR.MAF1.ctz
    415.7 KB · Views: 13

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
For the exhaust brake, just raise the boost in the higher rpms, say 1900+ and the two lowest throttle rows. Do this for the vane tables to

That way when you lift off the throttle, it will try and command boost which will close the vanes causing a braking effect

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I see, Ok. Thanks for the update. Did you by chance look at those tables? I made very small adjustment. I am still learning all the Diesel stuff, and just trying to understand the definitions and what they do. For now, I will put those tables back to stock...

If you have time, double check the tables your referencing I don't think I made changes, but then again, I was overwhelmed with trying to understand the other guys tune and what he did vs the comments made in his thread towards that very subject of bad shifting...

Also, I though when you elevated or raised the boost, you need to make adjustments to the torque tables...

Thanks again,

Yes, I did look at the tables. It wasn't large changes but probably enough

While I dont have much experience with the LLY tuning, I dont believe you need to do anything special with torque and boost relationship

When starting out, make small adjustments to one table and see how it responds. Do some logs if you need to see more. Then tweak it more. Keep doing this with small changes and logs until you get to where you like it

If you are changing to many tables at once then when it doesn't run right you will have trouble tracking it down. Once you are familiar enough then you can mess with all sorts of tables and get better results. This could take years to master

For the throttle, torque limited and base torque relationship look at this thread: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?18382-TLIQ-vs-BT-vs-TLIQ-or-some-such-thing

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Thank you to both.

Can you elaborate why? I didnt play with any of the torque tables. I did adjust both transmission and Engine in respects to the bigger tires...

Thanks in advance
I'm on my phone or else I would look at your files, but I would STRONGLY reccomend putting your tcm back to stock and leave it alone. Changes in the tcm can get costly if you're not carefull. We don't even see 1% of what's in there, and some of the tables we do have can destroy your trans as several have learned. I never touch the speedo tables in the tcm, if you want to adjust for bigger tires, then make small shift point changes, but thats it. If I can get to my laptop, I'll look at it later. I also have a decent all around lly tune I could send you to try and look at, but I don't post my modded tunes anymore.

jwrkansas

Mar 3, 2012
I can say right now that 2000us on an lly stock trans is gonna nuke it especially if its got bigger tires. It'll probably run good for awhile

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
I'm on my phone or else I would look at your files, but I would STRONGLY reccomend putting your tcm back to stock and leave it alone. Changes in the tcm can get costly if you're not carefull. We don't even see 1% of what's in there, and some of the tables we do have can destroy your trans as several have learned. I never touch the speedo tables in the tcm, if you want to adjust for bigger tires, then make small shift point changes, but thats it. If I can get to my laptop, I'll look at it later. I also have a decent all around lly tune I could send you to try and look at, but I don't post my modded tunes anymore.

That's all I adjusted, I went into the Speedo table, calculated tire size and then it said it would adjust the sift points relative to the new size. That is it for the TCM, that is all I changed, nothing else.

I can say right now that 2000us on an lly stock trans is gonna nuke it especially if its got bigger tires. It'll probably run good for awhile

I don't understand what your saying bud... 2 second change? Is this in shift points or another table within the TCM?

2004LB7, thanks for the thread post.

Thanks in advance,

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
2000us is the main injection pulse width. That is too much for a stock Transmission

Return all the tables in the transmission to stock including the tire size. Only change the tire size in the ecm. If you need then make minor adjustments to the shift rpm/mph tables to accommodate the larger tires

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
2000us is the main injection pulse width. That is too much for a stock Transmission

Ah... Ok, I think I only made changes to the Pulse WIdth based off of Mcrats instructions... I need to relook at that.

Are you saying the Main Injection Pulse, and the Main INjection Pulse No Pilot? I relooked and those are both done utilizing McRats 20/20 instructions... Clarity on this one please?

As to the transmission, will do. However, just so people know, EFI LIve did an update, and now it dorked the ability to tune transmissions/TCM's at the moment. Was on the phone with EFI Live last night, and sent them a bunch of information. THey are working on a fix, since it rolled out in there last update. THis is with the V7.5 suite. Was able to tune TCM's the other day, but last night, it gave a version error in relation to V7.5 software itself.

Last edited:

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
Here is a picture of my stock vs Mcrats 2020 Main Injection Pulse No ZPilot Tables...

Notice my stock file has 3000+ in the 100mm3 area, and when I apply McRats 2020 +20% mod they go well into 4000...

AM I missing something here?

Attachments

• StockMainInjectionVS.McRats20.20MainInjection.jpg
    StockMainInjectionVS.McRats20.20MainInjection.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 40

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
What most people look at to see power potential based on the pulse width, is the pulse at higher fuel pressure 150+. Those other areas to the left of the table that are all in red, arent used once the engine is idling or the throttle is touched.

It would probably be beneficial for you to data log a stock tune while driving around, just to take note of the areas that are actually used.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If your truck ever makes it down into the lower left hand corner of that table, you have problems. You want to look at the lower right hand corner for full fueling pulse width.