Motor won’t turn over

Jboomgaarden4

Aug 30, 2021
Okay just swapped my lly out for another. Got everything all together and was priming the fuel system by compressing air into the fuel fill for the tank. Primed the fuel system up top from primer pump till it got hard started cranking almost fired and it suddenly stopped like hydro locked. Put bar on crank and could spin motor either direction, pulled glow plugs thinking it might be hydro locked on it and none where wet. Not sure where to go. also loosened starter and moved back away from ring gear still couldn’t get it to spin.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Pull valve covers and check valves. Sounds like you may have dropped something into the motor and it got hung up in a valve or is caught between the piston and head.

Jboomgaarden4

Aug 30, 2021
I will definitely be checking into that. The motor came from a supposed running vehicle and came with everything but turbo. I put my turbo on it and wire harness then dropped in. I feel that if it was hydro locked on one cylinder or something was in one it would spin backwards. My thoughts are possibly hydro locked on either coolant or fuel in more then one cylinder. My biggest fear is I screwed something up by compressing the fuel tank to get fuel up to the motor. Could I have caused to to hydro lock on fuel from that? It was turning over perfectly fine prior to doing that but wasn’t firing.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I will definitely be checking into that. The motor came from a supposed running vehicle and came with everything but turbo. I put my turbo on it and wire harness then dropped in. I feel that if it was hydro locked on one cylinder or something was in one it would spin backwards. My thoughts are possibly hydro locked on either coolant or fuel in more then one cylinder. My biggest fear is I screwed something up by compressing the fuel tank to get fuel up to the motor. Could I have caused to to hydro lock on fuel from that? It was turning over perfectly fine prior to doing that but wasn’t firing.

With the glow plugs out does it turn over?

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
Okay just swapped my lly out for another. Got everything all together and was priming the fuel system by compressing air into the fuel fill for the tank. Primed the fuel system up top from primer pump till it got hard started cranking almost fired and it suddenly stopped like hydro locked. Put bar on crank and could spin motor either direction, pulled glow plugs thinking it might be hydro locked on it and none where wet. Not sure where to go. also loosened starter and moved back away from ring gear still couldn’t get it to spin.
So the engine turns over by hand, but the starter is what quit working ?? Did you get the wires pinched between the engine and tranny that run down to starter?

Jboomgaarden4

Aug 30, 2021
So the engine turns over by hand, but the starter is what quit working ?? Did you get the wires pinched between the engine and tranny that run down to starter?
It doesn’t turn over by hand. Sorry I see the mistake in that post and I couldn’t get it to turn by hand with glow plugs out either.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I've never seen a cp3 lock a motor up personally. I think you have slot bigger issues. Start pulling the motor apart

bimmer95

Mar 16, 2019
Morgantown Pennsylvania
I heard of an lml doing that just recently. After pulling the heads it was determined that removing and reinstalling the y bridge had loosened some egr soot and it got in on top of several pistons.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

bimmer95

Mar 16, 2019
Morgantown Pennsylvania
I guess I should clarify,the motor I'm talking about would rotate either way but wouldn't rotate 360 degrees. After reading the entire thread I'm not sure what the op's engine is doing

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk