Mormon Missile sets record

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Any word on what caused the fire? What about the fire suppression system; did it not work properly?

mde

fuel injection is my life
Mar 17, 2007
Bucky State
Curtis told me that the Evans coolant cought on fire, which the tank is right behind the driver/firewall

Any word on what caused the fire? What about the fire suppression system; did it not work properly?

Nobody thought that coolant can cought on fire, but there was a CO2 spray in the tank ... we have 3 fire saftey system on that car 2x CO2, 1x Water

Last edited:

mde

Mar 17, 2007
Bucky State
Got news from Curtis (driver from yesterdays record with the Mormon Missile)

Just 1st and 2nd burns on hand and face, nothing else ... helicopter landed in burn center, I believe in SLC

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Got news from Curtis (driver from yesterdays record with the Mormon Missile)

Just 1st and 2nd burns on hand and face, nothing else ... helicopter landed in burn center, I believe in SLC

good to here sounds like he should be ok

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Glad to hear he's gonna be ok! I know from close personal experiance...My dad was welding here a couple of years ago and somehow a glowing red hot piece of metal came in contact with a full can of spray paint and ignited a jet torch like blast of flame right at my dad and burned his arms 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree burns from hands to above his elbows. Bad enough that his skin basicaly dripped off :eek: and of all people, hes a retired firefighter:( Hes all back to normal and all you can tell are burn scars but there kinda hard to see on him, the recovery and bandages and treatment is the hard nasty part. Another good friend of us dragracers got severe 3rd degree burns from an alcohol fire and hes still recovering to some extent over 3 years later! So, Wish Lynn the best, hes lucky to have not gotten burned worse in a confined space like that! Wow, I can't belive that coolant caught on fire! thats pretty scary, wonder what is in it that could
cause that? What was the reason of the coolant getting out of the system? Overheat and got on the exhaust? Also surprised the fire suppression system didn't snuff it out!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
He had 3 fire systems, and you wear fire protection from head to toe include a head sock.

But in a streamliner, you are in a very confined space and going at very high speeds when shit happens. Without the equipment, he would have been dead before the car stopped.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
He had 3 fire systems, and you wear fire protection from head to toe include a head sock.

But in a streamliner, you are in a very confined space and going at very high speeds when shit happens. Without the equipment, he would have been dead before the car stopped.

Yea, we have the same stuff Top Fuel pilots wear for our pro-mod, The multi layer Nomex suit, underwear, hood-sock, race shoes w/ aluminum over boots, gloves, neck-brace, helmet the whole shebang! It has two fire systems on it, one has 3 nozzles that spray at the front/sides of the motor and one behind the supercharger on thew firewall and one bottle sprays at the driver from the pedal area.

Fire enriched with oxygen being blown inside the body at those speeds, ends up like a blow torch. I remember Tony Pedregon's fire where the oil feeding it got hot enough to burn the some Nomex layers away and crisp his hands pretty good.

mde

Mar 17, 2007
Bucky State
I just want to do some comparing with Mormon Missle and and the JCB Duramax:

JCB-Mormon.jpg

Who had more success?

Last edited:

mde

Mar 17, 2007
Bucky State
e-mail From Kurt Goodfellow:

Hello,

Just a note to let everyone know that as of midnight on Wednesday, dad’s doing just fine. For those who don’t know, he suffered some pretty serious burns on his hands and the lower part of his face this afternoon when his streamliner caught fire as he was finishing his last world record run at 342 MPH. The investigators confirm that the radiator cap blew off and the Evan’s coolant (an expensive racing coolant) ignited once it reached the exhaust system. This sent a flame into the cockpit through a small crack as it melted the canopy seal. We had no idea that this coolant was flammable. His fire suppression system was apparently ineffective against this type of flame. But his firesuit was very effective. Everything in his cockpit was melted. We feel very blessed that he was watched over. Anyway, he’s in UMC in Salt Lake , and he’s doing fine. His face looks pretty good, no need for bandages, mostly 1st degree. His hands are covered with bandages, but the doctor says there is no nerve or muscle damage. He’s able to move his hands and fingers just fine. The worst thing is that they have put an oxygen tube into his throat to make sure his lungs are ok, and he can’t talk. It’s driving him crazy!

Anyway, I’ll try to keep everyone up to date, but for now he’s doing well. You can go to www.landracing.com, where there are lots of pictures. Just go to “ray the rats pictures and go to the albums marked “mormon missile”

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Thanks again for the update, Volker.

X2

Taking off landracing.com

Seldom Seen Slim said:
Mormon Missile is leaving today -- but not 'til the fancy paperwork has been presented. Congratulations to them -- good effort, bad luck (the engine hurt a piston, that's what started the chain of events that led to the coolant cap coming off. No oil or fuel lines were damaged -- it wasn't either of those sources of fuel for a fire that led to the problems).

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
What pistons were in it?

According to this post on DP looks like LB7

The owners are no strangers to diesel racing. The Goodfellow team has one DMax powered record holder already. As I understand it, this Goodfellow streamliner was built in response to some Brits with a mega-million dollar record holder and an arrogant attitude. And it was done in just 7 months which is just amazing for one of these. It's not real pretty yet, but it has some awesome engineering. What goes into one of these streamliners is something to behold. A whole lot of stuff crammed into what's essentially a car with an airframe. Curt's engine is very similar to the one he built for Nasty Girl.....LLY block, stock LLY crank, tweeked LB7 pistons, and his rods (Howards). Other special fabrications are dry sump lube, two big turbos, and two really trick heat exchangers. He does beautiful work. The car weighs 4,000lbs. Electronics are something else too, just beautifully done. The car is geared for something like 375mph and has lots of power available. They're running a fairly mild 700hp tune right now but there's another one with about 1400hp if needed. Really amazing is at the starting line......gas motored cars shake the ground and almost split your eardrums while this diesel car has a rumble about like what you'd hear on the street.