Mormon Missile at Bonneville......

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
We just made a new record of 341.167 mph ... even with a spin with the MM at 400 feet we made a safe back up run with 333.XXX

That proofs that a shitty engine builder, and a hole driller/hobby tuner can do the damn fastest Duramax in the world!!! Any questions!!!

A little excessive wouldn't you say? Congrats

TOMAN

Jul 19, 2008
We just made a new record of 341.167 mph ... even with a spin with the MM at 400 feet we made a safe back up run with 333.XXX

That proofs that a shitty engine builder, and a hole driller/hobby tuner can do the damn fastest Duramax in the world!!! Any questions!!!

You guys need to look at getting a good tuner and builder :D with a bigger drill,you my go like 600 mph :eek: Have a beer for me :spit: GOOD WORK GUYS

Last edited:

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Last week the Missile blew a freeze plug and lost most of the coolant. Two blown pistons and one head destroyed. The engine was removed and torn down Friday morning, then taken to Hutchinson in SLC for reboring. Another set of pistons were machined at Steve Cole's shop - he had a set of .060" over - and they were overnighted to Wide Open Diesel in SLC for Sat. morning pickup. Curtis, Volker, and Ric spend all day Saturday putting the engine together using news heads off another engine. Thanks to Zane at Wide Open for the use of his immaculate facility and tools. Sunday the engine was reinstalled and everything buttoned up on Monday. The car ran an easy breakin at something like 250-275, I don't remember. Tuesday Curtis gave it a little more and did a two way ave. of 241 for a new record. Traction was marginal. Wed. was spent working on the car. This morning both batteries were replaced and we got to the line about 9:30. Starting the engine, 1st gear engaged immediately and killed the engine. Second time, same thing. Back in the pits......a destroyed throwout bearing, demolished clutch, and a driveshaft twisted about 180*. A new driveshaft is on it's way back here from Salt Lake City. Also 1/2" steel place to machine into a solid spacer in place of the clutch. If all goes well, we should be running tomorrow Friday.

The Missile has tons of power. Traction is a problem and Curtis has had to work the throttle to keep it from breaking loose. That 351 run wasn't near full throttle. The next higher .775 gears are now in the car.

Speed Demon went 434 and broke. One bad head was fixed and they ran this morning on 7-1/2 cylinders, pulled the chute before entering the timers. The jet bike had a cowling fire but will ok to run again this afternoon. The BUB motorcyle went 366 on it's 1st run and was preparing for the return when I left for town. The Hydrogen streamliner did a 299.9 - something ave. yesterday. They'll break 300 today or tomorrow. The snowmobile went 210 or 212.

Mike L.......Volker, Jim and I hit colored golf balls on the salt this afternoon. Seldom Seen Jim posted it on landracing.com.

Last edited:

mde

fuel injection is my life
Mar 17, 2007
Bucky State
Mormon Missile just gave up the speed attempts..drive shaft broke..

:mad:

We didn't gave up! We worked the last 12 days 16 hours a day to keep the car running, including build new engine, build our own clutch, etc... We don't have the source to rebuild the rearend and new driveshaft in 5 hours on the salt and try to run 400 mph. ... Inpossible!!! But we are glad eveybody is safe and bumped the new record from 314 to 341 which is satisfaction enough!

Thanks to all the Mormon Missile Team!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I don't speak for John, but you need to calm down Volker. I don't read that as an insult. It doesn't mean the Mormon Missile crew didn't do everything they could.

Congrats out to all the Mormon Missile team. :hug:

John Noonan

Land Speed bike racer
Sep 24, 2008
Huntington Beach Cal.
Pat,

I did not take his post as angry or upsetting, if he did then I am sorry.

They gave up just like Denis did with the Bub streamliner bike, Denis and his team were done and gave up (they set the fastest ever motorcycle record at 367 mph)

Well on the flip side I installed new rotors and pads on the Diesel last night..now she runs and stops..

John

PS. Congrats to all of the teams that made it to the Cook motorsports FIA/FIM meet.

J

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Shootout is over. What was the result?

World's Fastest Motorcycle, BUB 367mph
World's Fastest Snowmobile, ~205mph
World's Fastest Hydrogen Powered car, Ohio State University 303mph
World's Fastest single-engined Diesel, Mormon Missile 341mph
Top Speed 425+ running just a small block, Speed Demon
200mph Jet Bike, Mike Carlton.

Congrats to all!

This was a private meet at Bonneville, and if my info is correct, the entry fee is about $10,000.