Mormon Missile at Bonneville......

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
A little delay at Bonneville. Tuesday was a lake at the end of the road, where the pavement ends and the salt begins. Maybe 4 inches deep and probably a mile across. Same today only shallower. There was a slight skim of water on one section of the course so nobody allowed on the salt. Early tomorrow morning they'll be letting people go out there. It takes a little while to set things up. The Missile will be ready to go.

Right now the Missile's trailer is in a lot behind the hotel. Yesterday Mike/Curtis/Volker/Rick installed the big turbo and some other stuff. Things were tweeked and adjusted. The car has a couple new things since last month and the engine was freshened up. Today was fairly leisurely checking and rechecking. Coolant (27gal), oil put in. Curtis and Volker calibrated the RacePak. Tech inspectors came by. The engine was run a couple times while Volker worked on the tune. People sat around and visited. Temperature was pleasant in the low 80's. It was much nicer than last month. A few of us had planned on golf this afternoon but never made it.

The Team Blowfish trailer was parked 50' away. It's the Poteet-Mann '68 Barracuda created by Troy Trepanier. That car is beyond description and no magazine article could ever do it justice. Troy is an absolute master at what he does. It has to be one of the most fantastic race cars ever. Showcar perfection, faster than any doorslammer. It's gone 290 and this year they're expecting over 300. The engine is a Nascar Dodge with an enormous 110mm turbo.

This week is a 5 mile course and the Missile will run it's standard rearend gear. Next week's FIA meet the course is 6 miles and a taller .775 gear will be used.

I came home briefly and will be heading back out shortly. The hotel has no internet connection anywhere. People with wireless report daily on landracing.com

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I read about the rain delay. Happy to hear it dried out.

Everyone be safe out there :hug:

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
I read about the rain delay. Happy to hear it dried out.

Everyone be safe out there :hug:

The course and pits will be dry which is all that matters. But that pond at end of road will still be a couple inches deep and probably 3/4 mile across. There'll be runs on Sunday to make up the lost day.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Looks like they should be in Impound :happy2:

468 MORMON MISSILE HALVORSON, CURTIS J B/DS 305.145 258.94749 275.22580 304.50884 315.11106 312.49620

305.145 old record
315.111 3rd mile

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
OK it looks like they had trouble with the engine and didn't go to impound yesterday:cry:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Congrat's on the run

Nice run's I was just wondering if anyone was watching JR for a suicide watch! It look's like his guy is human also. This is not a slam on Curtis! It's not easy to run something under full power for any amount of time. Good luck on getting that record. The duramax people need another record. Jeff

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
They are getting ready to run again at the "Shootout". Looks like they got a new engine in it, and are going to do a shake-out run. They fired it up, but no pass yet.

The Poteet & Main Speed Demon ran 436mph with a 299ci engine, but could not back the run up. This is perhaps the fastest an internal combustion car has ever ran?

There is a Snowmobile there that is running over 180mph but it broke a primary drive.

The Ohio State electric streamliner burned up their electric motor windings, so they are working on getting the motor rewound.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
They are getting ready to run again at the "Shootout". Looks like they got a new engine in it, and are going to do a shake-out run. They fired it up, but no pass yet.

Is this referring to the Mormon Missile? I'm sure it is but want to make sure. If so, good luck this time around.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Who is Mike that is referred to in the link that Kat posted? It says he is the engine builder. I thought Curtis built the engine for the MM?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Not sure who "Mike" is, but the LSR "reporters" sometimes get mixed up.

MM just ran another shakeout run, 349mph mile average, 353mph exit speed, but they went back to the pits.

Congrats to the Mormon Missile team! IIRC, the JCB DieselMax's record is 350.092mph.
They are certainly in striking range of being the World's Fastest Diesel!:hug:

mde

fuel injection is my life
Mar 17, 2007
Bucky State
We just made a new record of 341.167 mph ... even with a spin with the MM at 400 feet we made a safe back up run with 333.XXX

That proofs that a shitty engine builder, and a hole driller/hobby tuner can do the damn fastest Duramax in the world!!! Any questions!!!

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
We just made a new record of 341.167 mph ... even with a spin with the MM at 400 feet we made a safe back up run with 333.XXX

That proofs that a shitty engine builder, and a hole driller/hobby tuner can do the damn fastest Duramax in the world!!! Any questions!!!

Congrats to all involved.