LLY: Mild build question

jbduramax

Daily Driven
Jan 20, 2016
San Diego, California
I am going to be installing a few things on my truck after tax returns and I have a question. what I will be installing is:
S&B CAI with intake elbow
PPE 3" DP
MBRP 5" DP Back exhaust
EGR blocker
Edge Insight
EFI Live

Now my question is can I safely do these mods without upgrading my CP3 or doing an aftermarket lift pump. I'm not trying to do anything crazy with it as it is my DD. I plan to do them eventually just don't quite have the funding to do it right now. thanks for any help and advice you can provide.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I personally would skip the downpipe and intake and spend that money on the liftpump. I would, however, still do the LBZ mouthpiece (since you have an LLY).

Downpipe and intake have very little (if any) impact on a stock truck, IMO.

NRA223

May 20, 2015
I agree with BAC And your stock cp3 is good to about 600rwhp if it is healthy so no need to change it with stock trans.

NRA223

May 20, 2015
When the trans comes out is the time to do the down pipe if you're going that far. You may think you won't now, but i didn't think i would either.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
^ What posters 2,3,4 &5 said.... Trans will probably need upgraded so save your money for that, downpipe and xfer case pump rub fix.

lemay153

Mar 1, 2012
X2 on the lift pump. The trans is a big investment. I never did mine until 145k and it finally needed it. Depends on if you want to prevent a tranny problem or deal with it when it comes. When mine went out as long as I took it easy the truck would get me from here to there. If I got on the skinny pedal too much it would limp but if I pulled over and turned it off I'd be down the road again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mechman3

no such thing as too fast
Jan 7, 2015
Saratoga Springs, Utah
I am guessing but you may have a head gasket repair in your future. I would be saving for that as well. ARP studs will be a good choice when that is apart. Also would look at the water pump at that time as well

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
I personally wouldn't skip the intake. We have done extensive testing in house on our dyno and found solid gains with the S&B intake. The smallest amount of horsepower picked up was 22 on a totally stock lbz. We saw even higher numbers on the lml.

With your lly, doing the mouthpiece and a S&B intake will really help you out. My 2 pennies. :)