Mechanical Duramax

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
...I still think it can and will ALSO be done with a CR system. Gonna have to get the CP3s controlled differently though as they won't be worth their weight in shit at 5K+ rpms. That, theoretically, should be easy enough to fix by remote mounting the CP3s (probably need multiple 3.4s or something else all together as well). Then you just change the gearing that is driving the pumps so that they are only spinning at about half the RPM as the engine at 7000RPMs. The CP3s should be nice and happy at 3500RPM maintaining efficiency while supplying the rails with the pressure needed to maintain nice atomization AND still supply a piss load of fuel.

What we need is basically a purpose built pump with 300% more displacement. Then it is geared down to match the target RPM.

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
So using a Dart Block, aftermarket Heads/SBC crank with Honda journals, would this mean I have a V8 Honda;).

Yes but it also means....

Imports.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
While some may be doubtfull I think this is a big step towards whipping those 12 valves in the Mod class :D. If only I had the funds I'd have one too.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
How do you tell who is who at that site? Everyone is anonymous.

Anyhow, if I read it correct, it's a normal Duramax block/heads with a big inline pump being fitted. The other stuff was intended to be tongue in cheek.

Or am I missing something?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Here's the thing, fuel is not intelligent enough to know how it got into the cylinder.

So the injection method is not important if does the following:

Correct timing
Correct amount
Good atomization

With the CR, we can't get enough amount currently, but up to the point we run out of fuel, all three are doable. With mechanical you can't get correct timing or amount. Close, but it can't be adjusted for engine parameters like CR does.

So exactly what advantage does mechanical have? Does it massage the fuels feet, or just improve it's self-esteem.

There is a reason Audi isn't running a mechanical injection system, and neither did JCB. These are multi-million dollar custom racing engines. If there were some advantage to mechanical injection, don't you think they would have heard about it by now?

I will make a prediction. It will dyno no higher than CR engines, and the dyno sheets will remain secret like most pullers. It will be a better engine than the 12v, because it's a better design, not because of Magic Fuel Effects.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Here's the thing, fuel is not intelligent enough to know how it got into the cylinder.

Correct timing
Correct amount
Good atomization

With the CR, we can't get enough amount currently, but up to the point we run out of fuel, all three are doable. With mechanical you can't get correct timing or amount. Close, but it can't be adjusted for engine parameters like CR does.

So exactly what advantage does mechanical have? Does it massage the fuels feet, or just improve it's self-esteem.

There is a reason Audi isn't running a mechanical injection system, and neither did JCB. These are multi-million dollar custom racing engines. If there were some advantage to mechanical injection, don't you think they would have heard about it by now?

I will make a prediction. It will dyno no higher than CR engines, and the dyno sheets will remain secret like most pullers. It will be a better engine than the 12v, because it's a better design, not because of Magic Fuel Effects.

completely agree pat.

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
these two truck are going to be the talk of every pull they go to just because of what they are (not Cummings:rofl:) i am glad that someone has stepped up and has taken it to the big show. i do believe that it can be done with a cr fuel system its just who is the next person to step up to the plate and make it work.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL

Correct timing
Correct amount
Good atomization

That hasn't been proved yet. If they can't make it spin faster than a 12V it will not be anything to talk about, cause it will be behind a 12V:(

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
IMO it is a step backwards for a D-Max. I do think it was a step forward for a powerstroke tho because the HEIU or whatever it is was their limiting factor. The next step for a 7.3 would be common rail

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
That hasn't been proved yet. If they can't make it spin faster than a 12V it will not be anything to talk about, cause it will be behind a 12V:(

How fast they can spin it is going to be based on the speed of which the fuel is capable of burning. Tons of boost and fuel additives is what the current system is of accelerating burn rates. Audi does it with less boost, but they have a custom blend fuel that burns quicker, and they still can't go 8000.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
IMO it is a step backwards for a D-Max. I do think it was a step forward for a powerstroke tho because the HEIU or whatever it is was their limiting factor. The next step for a 7.3 would be common rail

I know "someone" was working on a 7.3 CR engine, but don't know the status.

With the Dmax it's not a step backwards, it's a step sideways.

We have a problem getting as much fuel as the 12v's do. Our pumps have only a fraction the capacity of Sigma pump. IIRC, it's about 6 times bigger than a stock CP3. Scratch that. I don't remember the number, just wildly more.

But...

If one CP3 can support 600rwhp, two "could" support 1200rwhp, and three could rock the world. The injector bodies are to blame I'm told. We could put 3 CP3's on, but would have to make better injectors. With CR injectors, it's way more science than any typical machine shop can deal with. Tolerances are in the order of .00002" to make them work right.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
All I'm saying is the Dmax needs rpms to pull, cause its a V8. The cummins I6 will pull farther with less rpms. Thats all I pointing out.:eek:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
All I'm saying is the Dmax needs rpms to pull, cause its a V8. The cummins I6 will pull farther with less rpms. Thats all I pointing out.:eek:

Thats not really the case, most 2.8 classes have 4500 rpm limits, and the competitive cummins turn every bit of that. The classes that dont have governer limits they turn even more. I dont know how true it is, but Wes Kusilik told me at the Platte county fair his 3" truck only runs around 3800 rpms iirc. Not sure how true that was, but it didnt really sound like it was turning a lot. I think the old I6, V8 torque theories have been proven otherwise.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Nasty Girl made 1000rwhp at 3000rpm. In theory, you could make 1500rwhp at 4500. There are other things limiting though, but you can see that 2000rwhp could happen well before 8000 in a perfect world.

A true 1500rwhp is probably going very competitive especially if there is good area under the curve. Yes, I know the rumors are that full steam 12v's are 1800rwhp, but I'm not convinced until I see it. I'm thinking 1100-1400.