mead

mead

Feb 12, 2009
san diego
Right now a strawberry mead,several traditional meads, apple cider, various Belgium style ales about 80 gallons worth
jim

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH

Mead I only drink it at our local Renaissance Faire.

I would lay odds that it is not the real stuff. The only commercially available "mead" I've ever seen in the US is a god-awful grape based concoction. Real 100% honey-based mead is a real treat if you can get your hands on some.

mead

Feb 12, 2009
san diego
I would lay odds that it is not the real stuff. The only commercially available "mead" I've ever seen in the US is a god-awful grape based concoction. Real 100% honey-based mead is a real treat if you can get your hands on some.

Ten years ago I would have agreed with you. However at this time there are over 100 licensed meaderies in the United States. Many of them are making quality products. Rabbits Foot is one of the very best I have tasted. As far as the renaissance fair folks some of them are making very good mead and are very serious about it. The local Viking festival also has very good mead that is made and donated by several local mead makers.
In all of my research I have tasted some truly bad meads but I have not found any to be fake as that would be a legal problem for the producer.
If you ever find yourself in san diego and you would like to taste some real mead that has been well received by many look me up.
jim