MDI2 Information

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I need to know from guys with personal experience the difference in the Gm ones and the clone MDI2. I know that the clone only works in windows 7. The GM will work in all windows pretty much. Does the clone not require a subscription to work? If you get the subscription on the GM version will it stop working after the year is up? From what I’m understanding you have to have Vehicle Security ID to buy from GM for any subscription. Is there a way around that? I’m trying to make a informed decision on one.
Thanks for any information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You will use GDS2 to use the diag function of the mdi2. Acdelcotds is gm’s version of letting everyone else have access to gm global connect.

Reliability of the clone seems hit or miss, I bought a genuine Bosch mdi2.

Subscription shouldn’t have anything to do with vehicle id

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The term is vehicle security credential. I didn’t have the paper in front of me. It won’t let me create a account without that. Basically what I read is you fill out a background check and pay them near 400 bucks. If they see that you are good then you get that ID then can get setup thru AcDelco for the gds2 subscription. That is how I understand it. I just needing to know for sure how it all works from people who have the subscriptions.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
You will use GDS2 to use the diag function of the mdi2. Acdelcotds is gm’s version of letting everyone else have access to gm global connect.

Reliability of the clone seems hit or miss, I bought a genuine Bosch mdi2.

Subscription shouldn’t have anything to do with vehicle id

What are you doing for a subscription?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I never had to go through that and could buy any of the options on TDS??? I bought quite a few 3 day deals and a programming sub for my truck without issue. I currently use gmglobalconnect through a dealership, just can’t flash a truck outside of there because gm pings IP addresses when flashing. If you are not on a gm IP address, won’t let you use SPS so you have to use acdelcotds to do so. 40 bucks is not issue though and 2 years of service/flashing with it

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Acdelcotds. When I register it wants the security ID for it to accept me to setup the account to buy anything. From what I read you have to register with NAFTS then apply for a vehicle professional security credential to complete the process to purchase those items. I thought it should be simple and not have to runs background checks and pay membership fees etc ...

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That’s extremely weird. I registered, clicked on what I wanted and bought it. No hassle at all. Maybe it’s strictly a yearly subscription thing? Although I can get all the way through to actually buying it without issue (didn’t actually purchase since I’m not using it anymore)