maxton mile ???

Buck'sLMM

Spark Plugs Suck!
Mar 3, 2010
DuBois, PA
the Maxton Mile is a land speed racing event held 4-5 times a year in NC. they have classes for just about everything there and even DD classes that don't require roll cages and stuff as long as your below i believe 155mph.

anyway HOT ROD magazine dose a top speed challenge there every year at the first meet and give out sweet leather jackets to the fastest of different kinds of vehicles...so

what all do you think i would need to go WFO for a standing mile and get close to 155mph because that’s what the DP dodge does it in i believe.

intercooler, up pipes, manifolds, down pipe, water/meth, propane? Who makes a 155mph tire that would work on a 7,000lb truck?

BTW i was on the crew of the fastest A/blown fuel modified coupe there 2 years ago not sure if anyone has broken that record yet.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Speed rated tires (VR/ZR) are good to 200mph even if their recommended speed is lower.

I tested the V-rated Toyo Proxies to 215mph with good results even though the published speed was 149mph. This was at 2200lb per tire, or 8800lb vehicle weight. Not comfy with the Kumho's though, they failed violently.

But you really need to get the rulebook. Visit www.landracing.com and look in their Maxton area for info how to get a rulebook.

Buck'sLMM

Spark Plugs Suck!
Mar 3, 2010
DuBois, PA
i have 2 years ago book do you know if they changed anything?? would it hurt my motor or would i explod a tire if i went down sometime this summer and just did a daily driver pass to whatever they let you go to? i think its goes by tire rating so i would guess BFG A/T's would be good for 120mph right?

Mcrat i belive you talked to a guy i know last year or the year before at B-ville...Rob with the 63 la mans TT BB rat trap of a car.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I know that an LMM with a stock turbo, tune, lift pump and a trans is good for 145mph+. We did it once, and I think it could have had more squeezed out of it. This was on Nitto Dune Grapplers (E)....

Buck'sLMM

Spark Plugs Suck!
Mar 3, 2010
DuBois, PA
i just looked at my tires i didn't even see a speed rating on them so would they just let you run it out to the max? i know the truck will go 120+ right now but im not sure it would do it in a mile?

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I know that an LMM with a stock turbo, tune, lift pump and a trans is good for 145mph+. We did it once, and I think it could have had more squeezed out of it. This was on Nitto Dune Grapplers (E)....

144mph rolling start. Weight was about 7200lbs.

I dont see a stock motor truck hitting 150+mph in a mile from a stop.

I saw 1600+ egts (gauge was buried) about 50% of the run....

Bigger turbo, w/m and/or something to keep it cool is 100% needed even for 150mph IMO.

Buck'sLMM

Spark Plugs Suck!
Mar 3, 2010
DuBois, PA
well mike with your DD tune i can go 0-120 and never get above 1300egt...not sure if its in a mile or not? i love LSR i just don't know if i want to get started in it by buying a car and starting fresh or building my truck up?

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
144mph rolling start. Weight was about 7200lbs.

I dont see a stock motor truck hitting 150+mph in a mile from a stop.

I saw 1600+ egts (gauge was buried) about 50% of the run....

Bigger turbo, w/m and/or something to keep it cool is 100% needed even for 150mph IMO.

A truck that can do mid to high 12's in the 1/4, trap 105-110mph, cant pull another 30-40 mph out of it in the 3/4 mile left.... ??

If were talking aout motor living.... what he said^^^.... otherwise spray the shit out of it and set a record:D

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
i hope to be there this year driving a cummins powered regcab short bed. some guys i know are building a truck for it and dont want to drive it.i told them id be there huckle berry. looking forward to it and perhaps will meet you there...

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Does a Dmax with 383's have enough RPM to hit 155 without some major tweaking? Pat I'm sure has done the math. Is it a mile from a dead stop or a flying mile?

Buck'sLMM

Spark Plugs Suck!
Mar 3, 2010
DuBois, PA
standing mile...at 120 on an LMM speedo i am at like 2400rpm in 6th maybe a little more? thats with 285's.

edit...3:73's are what come it the trucks.

Last edited:

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
RPM is your friend with the stock turbo. I would say to raise the shift points some from the factory 3250. I think it would help keep egt's lower longer. You should be okay EGT wise till 5th gear. Then EGT's will go up a bunch. I would hate to see 6th gear. :eek:

I have done 150 something on a stock turboed LB7 CCLB. I doubt it was in a mile though. I did a disk cleanup and lost the log of it. :(

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
A truck that can do mid to high 12's in the 1/4, trap 105-110mph, cant pull another 30-40 mph out of it in the 3/4 mile left.... ??

it's kinda doubtful to me. Standing miles are no joke and people don't realize how much power it really takes to squeeze out that last few mph

look at that dodge that competed in the silver state classic a year or 2 ago. That thing had all kinds of go fast goodies. Way more then your average stock motor duramax and I think he hit 168 on the standing mile

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
IMO, I think the difficulty is gonona be trying to pull that extra 40 mph out of one gear, all while fighting a vehicle with the aerodynamics of brick. Maybe an 8 speed, with the gearing staggered correctly would give a stock motored truck an advantage against the aero's of the truck.

Me spouting off here, I honestly have no idea if that'd help or not.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Stock gearing should be OK if you have a six speed and 32" tires. You should hit 150 at 3700rpm which is in range for a stock turbo.

For faster speeds, more gear or bigger turbo. The Dodge guys use nitrous at Maxton. From what I can tell, the tech is pretty lax compared to Bville.