Max Bore - Daily Driver

StephenZ

Dec 11, 2022
Blew a hole in my #7 Piston, scoured the cylinder wall a tad bit where it blew out at.

What would you guys suggest as the maximum over-bore for a daily driver?

By the looks I'm going to assume I'd need at the very least .020" over. Would it be safe to run a .040" over, the turbo will also be getting an upgrade, and thinking about porting the heads as well since I'm going to have about 2 months of down time before getting the block back from the machine shop (If I drop it off to them on Tuesday).

Thanks,
Stephen

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Always go minimal as possible on the overbore. The difference from .020 to .040 is not going to make a difference in power. But the Engine could run hotter with thinner bores.

Reactions: StephenZ

StephenZ

Dec 11, 2022
Always go minimal as possible on the overbore. The difference from .020 to .040 is not going to make a difference in power. But the Engine could run hotter with thinner bores.
Thanks, I just got it into the machine shop this morning to have them mic the little divit in the cylinder wall, they said it's around .005" out, so that's the good news. Gives me a few options rather than just going straight to .040" pistons. Also found a kid here local with a block that the crank broke in, wants $200 for the block, so I'll be going to check the block out here this week, and if I do buy it, going to bring it to be magnafluxed and double checked, so have a few options on the table.