Manley Duramax Rods Are Here!

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
I have been consulting with Manley on the design of their Duramax rod for most of this year and the first shipment of the final product has just arrived.

They are an I-beam design similar to a Crower or R&R.

As a comparision Carrillo is considered to be an H-Beam.

I'll post some pics and weights tomorrow.

How about we blow these things out on a Black Friday special at $2400 shipped? :thumb:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Are these forged or billet? Any benefit to these over what is currently available?

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
I just recently heard about these. How many sets are in high hp trucks?
I have all of the first production. None have been run yet. The design and metallurgy is sound. Equivalent to a Crower or R&R. I still prefer a forged Carrillo for my highest hp builds, based on strength and weight. However, not everyone needs a rod of that price. These are a slightly more affordable alternative.

Are these forged or billet? Any benefit to these over what is currently available?
Billet. No benefit other than price.

O boy I'm a big fan of there product! Is there any testing with these yet?
Im a big fan as well. Manley is a quality company that has been manufacturing rods for over 20 years. They are legendary in the valve market.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have all of the first production. None have been run yet. The design and metallurgy is sound. Equivalent to a Crower or R&R. I still prefer a forged Carrillo for my highest hp builds, based on strength and weight. However, not everyone needs a rod of that price. These are a slightly more affordable alternative.

Billet. No benefit other than price.

Im a big fan as well. Manley is a quality company that has been manufacturing rods for over 20 years. They are legendary in the valve market.

Thanks Guy. It's always good to have options.

kjp800

-
Aug 6, 2008
New Jersey
I spoke with a manley sales guy back in the spring and they said they were working with DTS on testing them, but couldn't get the weight down on them..... I guess the problem has been fixed? or I was fed a line of bullshit:confused:

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
I spoke with a manley sales guy back in the spring and they said they were working with DTS on testing them, but couldn't get the weight down on them..... I guess the problem has been fixed? or I was fed a line of bullshit:confused:

I also heard a story kinda like that... however we called manley and spoke to them about these a few months ago socal nor dts were mentioned...

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
my last post was not ment to throw anyone under a bus.. i was just giving info based off my experience...

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
They are about $600 cheaper without the black friday promo you are offering??? Mr. Tripp, you would prefer to use carrillo in a high hp build, what does Guy Tripp consider a high hp build:roflmao:, you've seen and built just about every damn thing under the duramax sun;)

For a 600 dollar savings im not so sure:confused:
What about a 800+ whp/1400lb ft tq build?

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006

I gave them target weights to hit last year. They were a little heavy during the design phase so we went to work on that. The first set manufactured, arrived a few months ago, we test fit and installed them in an engine.

I also heard a story kinda like that... however we called manley and spoke to them about these a few months ago socal nor dts were mentioned...

Can't speak for the sales guys. My relationship with the Manley company goes back 30 years. I deal directly with the owner and the engineering dept.

They are about $600 cheaper without the black friday promo you are offering??? Mr. Tripp, you would prefer to use carrillo in a high hp build, what does Guy Tripp consider a high hp build:roflmao:, you've seen and built just about every damn thing under the duramax sun;)

For a 600 dollar savings im not so sure:confused:
What about a 800+ whp/1400lb ft tq build?
These rods will have no problem with 800hp+ build. And Manley will stand behind their product 100%

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I gave them target weights to hit last year. They were a little heavy during the design phase so we went to work on that. The first set manufactured, arrived a few months ago, we test fit and installed them in an engine.
Since the subject was brought up, how does the weight of these rods compare to the others on the market?

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Here are a random sampling from engines we have balanced. Weights could vary up or down 10g from set to set production run to production run.

Manley BE 728g SE 411g

Crower BE 769g SE 377g

R&R BE 769g SE 387g

Carrillo BE 672g SE 416g

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm not at all familiar with how the big end and small end weight affects engine balance. Could you explain that some? I see the Manley and the Crower are very close in overall weight, but the big end on the Manley is quite a bit lighter than the Crower. Which one would take more weight to balance?

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Before spinning a crank in the balancing machine, we make up a weight to simulate the pistons, rods etc. This is commonly referred to as a "bobweight".

The calculation for the bobweight in a typical V8 engine is 50% of the reciprocating plus 100% of the rotating. Anything moving up and down is considered reciprocating, such as the piston, and rotating is the big end of the rod and the rod bearing.

The equation looks like this:

BE Rod+BE Rod+Rod Bearing+Rod Bearing+Piston+Pin+Rings+Clips+SE Rod.

As you can see lightening the big end of the rod by 1 gram saves you 2 grams in the overall calculation. :thumb:

Guy

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
That means that the Manleys would be a good choice for a rod if your wanting a lighter rotating assembly. Less bobweight than all bit the Carillos.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thanks for explaining that, Guy. I've often wondered how the bob weight is calculated.