Maintenance and Lift Pump

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
I am putting in a lift pump soon. I am also putting in fuel rail plug and ported fuel fitting. When I put lift pump in I want to put new fuel lines in the truck. What sizes and lengths will I need for fuel line from lift pump to the front of the truck and what all should I replace? I have a 2009 Chevy 2500.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Are you thinking of replacing the metal lines or just the rubber ones? I wouldn't replace the metal ones unless they are experiencing corrosion

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
2004lb7 is right.

Is your truck stock if not whay mods does it have? Also I wouldn't recommend he plug or ported valve. Yes the valve may be necessary if you have a specific issue that that causes, but those ported fittings are not necessary for 99% of people.

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
5 inch, EGR and DPF deleted, 3inch downpipe, PPE Passenger side uppipe, PPE Airbox Mod, Resonator Delete, PCV Reroute, High Flow Turbo Mouthpiece
I am about to retune as well.

Reactions: bigredlmm

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
2004lb7 is right.

Is your truck stock if not whay mods does it have? Also I wouldn't recommend he plug or ported valve. Yes the valve may be necessary if you have a specific issue that that causes, but those ported fittings are not necessary for 99% of people.
Why dont you recommend either of em?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Relief valve stops pressure spikes that can hurt fuel components or even rupture lines or crack injectors . A plug removes this safety.

If you aren't running a stroker cp3 or larger injectors then you won't see any benefits from a ported valve or any other ported parts. You can pull the cp3 and drill out a few fuel ports on the gear pump to gain a little more flow but it's really only helping a weak pump or bad tuning

Reactions: DAVe3283

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Why dont you recommend either of em?
There are a few truck that need the valve. Very few set fuel pressure codes and it related to the valve opening. If you are getting the code you have to do a "Bottle Test" to confirm it is related to the valve. This is one of those parts that a lot of people try to use to fix a fuel pressure code when the valve had nothing to do with the problem.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I personally do not like nor use "race plugs" as to me it removes a critical safety in the system. I either shim them or replace them with a single stage from S&S. There are many times where people put race plugs in to solve a low rail code without doing any diagnostic (like the bottle test mentioned above).

As for ported rail fittings, I do them on my stroker stuff or complete engine builds as it doesn't take much time to remove the fittings and drill them out.

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
I feel like the ported fitting would be fine because its is a bigger hole and I feel it would actually take load off of CP3...correct me if I am wrong
I know my CP3 is good but it may just be in my tune but he FRP goes to 27.4K then instantly drops to 25.9K and it stays there till I let out if I am getting on it. I feel that the plug would keep me up at that 27.4K range and that the truck would continue to pull hard if on the throttle. I know the injectors can hold up to that pressure.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
When I did mine, I want to say I used something like 7' of 3/8 line. Don't quote me on that. I just went down to the auto parts store and bought a bunch of rubber fuel line off the spool. Was less then a dollar a foot so I got plenty extra

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I feel like the ported fitting would be fine because its is a bigger hole and I feel it would actually take load off of CP3...correct me if I am wrong
I know my CP3 is good but it may just be in my tune but he FRP goes to 27.4K then instantly drops to 25.9K and it stays there till I let out if I am getting on it. I feel that the plug would keep me up at that 27.4K range and that the truck would continue to pull hard if on the throttle. I know the injectors can hold up to that pressure.
I would be curious why you’re going to 27.4. Yes the relief valve is doing what is intended to do and if your tuning is calling for more than 180mpa why? Also if your tuning has the regulator going max pressure at full throttle you will cause problems by installing a plug because your rail pressure will go to the moon

Reactions: turbovan

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Is your desired staying at 27.4ksi after the dip to 25.9ksi? Do a bottle test on the relief valve and see if that's where it's going.

I would be curious why you’re going to 27.4. Yes the relief valve is doing what is intended to do and if your tuning is calling for more than 180mpa why? Also if your tuning has the regulator going max pressure at full throttle you will cause problems by installing a plug because your rail pressure will go to the moon
Agreed, like above I am not a fan of race plugs overall.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course

It doesn't really work like that. The stock fitting will flow more fuel then your injectors can reasonably flow. There is/was a video on YouTube of this being proven on a flow bench.