Mahle Cast Piston EGT

Chilly

Dec 4, 2018
What’s the maximum EGT guys are running the Mahle cast pistons? Did a couple google searches and came up with nothing.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Are you looking for the max egr for and extended time period or shot spikes while drag racing or sled pulling?

I dont even look at my guages sled pulling as by the time I'd realize that they're scary high itd be too late to let out of itanyway. I actually don't even use guages as I unplug my cts2 do I can datalog.

Chilly

Dec 4, 2018
Just looking to be conscientious whether I am towing or fooling around on the street.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Turbo/valves will be the down fall, not pistons on egt. Cylinder pressure affects the pistons much more than the heat these days

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What James is saying is that high EGTs don’t really affect pistons as much as they affect exhaust valves and turbine wheels. EGTs are a measure of the exhaust temperature; it is not a measure of cylinder temperature.

Chilly

Dec 4, 2018
What James is saying is that high EGTs don’t really affect pistons as much as they affect exhaust valves and turbine wheels. EGTs are a measure of the exhaust temperature; it is not a measure of cylinder temperature.

Thanks Josh.
So what’s the point of everyone installing EGT gauges if the temperature doesn’t really matter? I just wanted a good number to stay under for fooling around on the street with a 700-800HP tune. With my set up I would assume the Mahle cast pistons can still be cracked or overheated, leading to a hole in the piston.
When you guys were talking about valves, are they prone to fairly at this HP level? The Wagler heads I have, got aftermarket oversized valves.
Why is heat an issue with turbo wheels? I’ve never heard of this being an issue.
Just a little confused is all...

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Link from a recent thread.

https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82625&page=2

Thanks Josh.
So what’s the point of everyone installing EGT gauges if the temperature doesn’t really matter? I just wanted a good number to stay under for fooling around on the street with a 700-800HP tune. With my set up I would assume the Mahle cast pistons can still be cracked or overheated, leading to a hole in the piston.
When you guys were talking about valves, are they prone to fairly at this HP level? The Wagler heads I have, got aftermarket oversized valves.
Why is heat an issue with turbo wheels? I’ve never heard of this being an issue.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thanks Josh.
So what’s the point of everyone installing EGT gauges if the temperature doesn’t really matter?
Because people are ignorant and usually don't care to learn. I'm not saying installing an EGT gauge is bad, but it isn't really a good way to judge what is safe for a piston. I cracked a piston in my LBZ with compounds over stock years ago, and the EGTs never got over 1350. That is what anyone will tell you is a safe number all day long. The thing is, on just a stock turbo, that tune would have see well over 1600 degrees of exhaust temp, but because all the fuel is being burned inside the cylinder, there isn't as much heat coming out the exhaust. Does that make sense?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thanks Josh.

Nobody said it doesn't matter. For short term the pistons aren't the weak point with temperature. If you're pulling grades I wouldn't stay above 1300-1400 for long. I know when we towed my LLY out to Denver for DPC we ended up running 1300-1400 up a few big grades (grossing 23,880lb) with my LB7.