MAF readings

astoor

Jul 25, 2014
2015.5 LML GMC DENALI

So my MAF reads between 15.4 and 17.3 g/ps at idle and will only read up to about 280-320 g/ps. Fuel is capped because of air so that varies. Every thing worked before I installed a compound setup and head studs.

I have put a new MAF and humidity sensor in.

I have tested all the wiring

I have put in another ECM that had my previous tune installed before the compounds.

I have put in my own harness from the ECM to the MAF.

I have checked all my grounds.

After all of that the readings will not change. The only way I can get it to run kind of right is to scale the MAF at 600g/ps for the whole table which comes with its on set of issues. Also I have had several tunes in it from different tuners and the MAF still wont read correct. Yes they all scaled the tune for the size of the intake.

Thoughts?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You need to have the maf sensor calibrated for the new size intake tube.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Is your maf in backwards? Or you aren’t telling the tuner the correct size of the intake tube. Or they all messed up rescaling the maf.

astoor

Jul 25, 2014
Is your maf in backwards? Or you aren’t telling the tuner the correct size of the intake tube. Or they all messed up rescaling the maf.
No Its not backwards. I doubt that all three of them messed it up. Also they all went back and looked at the scaling to verify that.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just noticed you mentioned you tried setting the whole MAF table to 600. When you did that, did it read 600 g/s at idle? If you have access to your tune file, post a screenshot of your MAF calibration table.

astoor

Jul 25, 2014
I just noticed you mentioned you tried setting the whole MAF table to 600. When you did that, did it read 600 g/s at idle? If you have access to your tune file, post a screenshot of your MAF calibration table.
Yes it reads 600 g/s at all times. I dont have access to the tune file. I have been working with the tuner and that was a solution to make it driveable to get the trans learned.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Yes it reads 600 g/s at all times. I dont have access to the tune file. I have been working with the tuner and that was a solution to make it driveable to get the trans learned.

If he could see that it read 600 all the time then it is a very easy fix to make it read correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

astoor

Jul 25, 2014
If he could see that it read 600 all the time then it is a very easy fix to make it read correctly.

It reads like that because we wanted it to. if you look at the table you can assign a g/s value for any given frequency. So we maxed out the g/s value for the whole table so it wont limit fuel for AFR. Kind of like a low boost fuel tune just incredibly aggressive. If I understand it correctly you should see about 35 g/s at idle and maximum effort on a stock turbo is about 450g/s. Theoretically I should be able to flow over 600g/s at max effort. So with the MAF scaled for the size of the intake at 40PSI I am barely getting 280 g/s which is about 9700Hz and the truck hates it then shudders and you have to pull over. I had an LBZ with the same setup and it would max out the sensor all day long.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
LML will see more at wot than previous years. You should see 40 at idle and around 500 at wot early generations. LML 40 idle and usually 500-600 at wot.

Reactions: astoor

astoor

Jul 25, 2014
LML will see more at wot than previous years. You should see 40 at idle and around 500 at wot early generations. LML 40 idle and usually 500-600 at wot.

I agree thats why I said about. Im sure there are other factors too.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm not going to instruct a professional tuner how to do something as simple as scaling a MAF sensor because it is a very simple procedure, but I will say with 100% certainty, the MAF sensor is not scaled correctly. If you can enter 600 across the boar in the scaling table and see 600 g/s at idle, and a normal scale on the MAF sensor table reads consistent at idle and increases with airflow, there is nothing else it can be but a scaling issue. My suggestion is to find a new tuner or tell him to learn how to scale the sensor correctly. I will say this is not the first time I have seen this.

Reactions: S Phinney

astoor

Jul 25, 2014
I'm not going to instruct a professional tuner how to do something as simple as scaling a MAF sensor because it is a very simple procedure, but I will say with 100% certainty, the MAF sensor is not scaled correctly. If you can enter 600 across the boar in the scaling table and see 600 g/s at idle, and a normal scale on the MAF sensor table reads consistent at idle and increases with airflow, there is nothing else it can be but a scaling issue. My suggestion is to find a new tuner or tell him to learn how to scale the sensor correctly. I will say this is not the first time I have seen this.

If my post came across as that I was trying to instruct anything that wasn’t my intention. As far as I know my truck is the anomaly. This is a very well known tuner who has done a lot of these kits.

Right now at idle my truck reads around 3700Hz. And with any tune that uses the MAF it will max out at around 10000Hz. It takes a long time for the truck to get up to that too. I’m just trying to get an idea or a direction to try next.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
If my post came across as that I was trying to instruct anything that wasn’t my intention. As far as I know my truck is the anomaly. This is a very well known tuner who has done a lot of these kits.

Right now at idle my truck reads around 3700Hz. And with any tune that uses the MAF it will max out at around 10000Hz. It takes a long time for the truck to get up to that too. I’m just trying to get an idea or a direction to try next.

New tuner 🤷‍♂️