MAF Questions

lamar2388

Nov 16, 2021
I bought a 2004 LB7 this past summer, mainly for experience/tinkering. When I bought it it already had a s475 over stock compound setup with the MAF sensor removed and in my (admittedly inexperienced) opinion, not so great tuning on it. I can go into more detail about that part if someone needs more info. I would like to start tuning it myself and I think I have my starting point figured out for most of it but I'm not sure how to handle the MAF situation. Should I, 1. buy a MAF sensor and re-install it and hope all the wiring still works ok or 2. Deal with it being gone through tuning? Because of how the compounds are installed I don't have a lot of room to mount the MAF but I think I can make something work, but I've also read some guys some plug them in but zip tie them out of the way in the engine compartment so if I go with option 1 do I make so I can install it properly or just plug it in and tie it out of the way? And if I go with 2 what tables specifically do I need to make sure are adjusted to compensate for it not being there? (I accidently posted this in Tune Library originally and can't delete it?? Sorry for the double post)

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It's been a while since I've played around with this on an LB7, but I don't believe there is a way to control fueling without a MAF sensor (other than using your foot). This can be both bad and good. The good is you don't have to worry about something limiting your power, but the bad is MAFless tuning tends to be very smokey. If it were mine, I would try to figure out a way to add a MAF sensor and make it work since this sounds more like a street application. Also, I deleted that other post for you.

lamar2388

Nov 16, 2021
Ok, thanks on both parts. You are correct in that its just a daily for me, rarely if ever pull anything. If I do re-install a sensor, it would basically have to be on a bend due to the location of the s475, does that create its own headaches?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It isn't ideal, but almost every compound setup I've installed has had the MAF sensor installed in a bend. I would try to get it in the side of the bend rather than in the top or bottom.