Lower radiator hose heater Experiences?

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
It's that time of year here in central Pa. Every year at this time I realize that I hate how long it takes my cruze diesel to get up to temperature in the mornings to defrost the windshield and blow heat.

My car is equipped with the factory oil pan heater option. I admit I don't use it as I've never had a problem with the car actually starting. I seen ID parts sells a complete lower radiator hose retro fitting with a coolant heater for $129.99. Seems like an option. But me being the way I am and researching stuff till it drives me nuts. (which is why this tread came up in my head)

The lower hose newer from gm is around $40 give or take and the heater is around $30. So I can buy a new hose and install the heater my self for around $70. Reason to buy the hose is I'm not 100% sure on which heater would fit better a 1.25" or the 1.5" heater. So I figured I'd get a new hose and fit the heater in it. Drain my coolant and just r&r my lower heater hose with the new one. Then I'd also have a spare should I ever get a leak.

Looking at this hose heater in the link. Does anyone have experience with them or the zerostart version? Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Kats-16600-L...argid=aud-801381245258:pla-435352414309&psc=1

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Why not just plug in with what you already have? In the cold months I keep my 06 plugged in overnight. Never have an issue starting even unplugged, but always have heat a lot faster since the engine is warmer already.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
The factory option oil pan heater only heats the oil in the pan, but does nothing to heat the coolant to help defrost the windows or blow heat. Un

I do plan on using a timer for the coolant heater.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Why not just plug in with what you already have? In the cold months I keep my 06 plugged in overnight. Never have an issue starting even unplugged, but always have heat a lot faster since the engine is warmer already.

the duramax block heater, warms the coolant. which will circulate once it gets hit enough as warm water will push the cold water. So if plugged in and working properly you should have heat at start up.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Research may be in order.

On my Saturn Ion, which has the same gas engine as the Cruz, there is an issue with the coolant heater. If GM parts are not used, then the car will throw a code because the ECM is confused (engine coolant is too hot for air temperature ??? I'm not sure). It has a special cord that only comes on when the temp is less than 20*F, even if the cord is plugged in.

I'm not sure about the diesel engine, but it may be worth seeing what is available from GM and using that, instead of an aftermarket inline hose heater.

Just a thought.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Interesting. Only worry Id have is how much the heater unit impedes coolant flow.

Moved to Fluids and Maintenance.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
the heater is a straight open bore. do shouldn't affect coolant flow.

I have read on the vw forum of guys seeing a cel for the coolant temp vs air temp. just caught my attention on Idparts when I seen the hose kit they sell.

https://www.idparts.com/coolant-hea...tTZH4vnhwdz0kFOpIFynhsuLSdVCGFFRoC0s4QAvD_BwE

I ordered a GM lower radiator hose today. might be a couple weeks to get it due to the strike. but once I get it I'll grab the heater from tractor supply and see what happens.