Low coolant temp= clogged dpf ?

xxiiiliv

Jan 20, 2022
Las Vegas
2012 LML. Truck has always run on the cool side, 175-180, and last month I got a low coolant temp DTC, temps had been around 160. At the same time, regen would come on at around 16 grams of soot instead of 44. I had the t-stats replaced and temp is up to 190, but, regen is still being picky. The last regen happened at 28 grams. I assume it’ll get better, but, is there anything I can do to help

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
regeneration occurs from two perimeters. back pressure measured by a differential pressure sensor and miles. since you are reporting the regeneration happening too often then it's likely back pressure causing it.

it's possible you have a bad differential pressure sensor but it would seem more likely it is seeing too high of pressure. use your scanner and see how much ash, soot and pressure it is seeing. you can try a service regen but if ash is too high that won't do anything to help. a replacement or cleaning service will be required.

xxiiiliv

Jan 20, 2022
Las Vegas
regeneration occurs from two perimeters. back pressure measured by a differential pressure sensor and miles. since you are reporting the regeneration happening too often then it's likely back pressure causing it.

it's possible you have a bad differential pressure sensor but it would seem more likely it is seeing too high of pressure. use your scanner and see how much ash, soot and pressure it is seeing. you can try a service regen but if ash is too high that won't do anything to help. a replacement or cleaning service will be required.
I’m by no means a mechanic, and you seem knowledgeable, so here’s my theory. Is it possible that having low coolant temp, low enough to cause a code, could cause the exhaust to be cooler than normal and coat the dpf with maybe more oily ick? At 85k miles, I’m hoping that’s the case. If that seems reasonable, would a manual regen, or two, make sense ?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
at the temperature you report, it is unlikely. plus the ECM knows what temp the engine is and has and exhaust temperature sensor so it can calculate all the soot parameters. things that will throw it off is not using low ash oils or not using ULSD.

you say it is regenerating at 16 grams instead of the usual 44. either that means its making more soot then it thinks or there is a mechanical issue

give a manual regen a try. it won't hurt anything so it's worth a shot

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Scan your regen temps and make sure that egt#2 is going over 1100 degrees. If it is not you need to replace 9th injector. My truck went thru constant regens when the 9th injector starting acting up. It will eventually pop a p0420 code for catalyst performance.

xxiiiliv

Jan 20, 2022
Las Vegas
Scan your regen temps and make sure that egt#2 is going over 1100 degrees. If it is not you need to replace 9th injector. My truck went thru constant regens when the 9th injector starting acting up. It will eventually pop a p0420 code for catalyst performance.
Thanks for that. I actually set up my cts2 to show all 4, but wasn’t sure what the temps should be

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Egt #1 should be around 700
Egt #2 1100
Egt #3 1050
Egt #4 1050

Those are mimiunm numbers, if they aren't at that temp or higher your 9th injector is the cause.

xxiiiliv

Jan 20, 2022
Las Vegas
Egt #2 has to stay over 1050 for the entire regen process, is it maintaining temp?
Egt #2 has to stay over 1050 for the entire regen process, is it maintaining temp?
Yes. It was in the 1200 degree range the whole time.
I did some research on the pressure differential. It seems time and fuel used are parameters to start regen as well.
So, maybe it’s my fault. I’m retired, don’t do much long distance driving anymore, and to maybe compound the issue, I’m having an ongoing maf code, even after replacing the sensor. Could this maf(or maybe intake leak?) be causing a problem? Remember, I’m no mechanic and am trying to not just fix this, but to understand as well. I appreciate your help

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Heck egr function as well and turbo vane position desired vs actual. If those are off it can cause a maf reading issue and cause premature regeneration as well. Egr systems cause more DPF issues than any other single item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Simple leaks as well In intake or exhaust side. Command egr off and look at ALER (air leak equivalency ratio). If MAF readings are off when compared to what the ecm wants to see then it will calculate soot accumulation at a faster rate

xxiiiliv

Jan 20, 2022
Las Vegas
Yes, the maf will effect fueling tables and cause regeneration issues. You running a K&N filter?
No on the k&n. I have a Banks but with the dry filter. As far as having it worked on, this isn’t necessarily a diesel only problem, am I right? Any mechanic could diagnose this I assume

xxiiiliv

Jan 20, 2022
Las Vegas
Simple leaks as well In intake or exhaust side. Command egr off and look at ALER (air leak equivalency ratio). If MAF readings are off when compared to what the ecm wants to see then it will calculate soot accumulation at a faster rate
I didn’t know exhaust leaks could affect this. Over the past few months, the truck has sounded more “diesely”, if that’s a word. As a Denali it’s alway been super quiet, now it’s a bit louder, more clatter, and for a moment at startup, sounds like a pail full of rocks

xxiiiliv

Jan 20, 2022
Las Vegas
That, my friend, is way beyond my pay grade 😵‍💫. Is there an English version of what you just said ?