losing prime

fourbtron

Feb 14, 2022
losing prime after fuel filter change , is a FASS worth to time and money on a stock 233,xx mile truck , i have the Titan fuel tank , access to fuel lines is tight

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Have you tried to re-install the new filter? Remember to remove the old filter o-ring if it stuck to the housing?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Are you talking about deleting the stock filter and installing a fast instead, becauseyou think its leanking? I would find your problem 1st, but I'm not a fan of that. I like having that stock filter there.

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
IMO cat in stock location and fass with water separator and filter is far superior to stock .

for your issue , sounds like your sucking air and common spot for that is the primer pump. Could easily just repair/replace that and continue on with life.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
IMO cat in stock location and fass with water separator and filter is far superior to stock .

for your issue , sounds like your sucking air and common spot for that is the primer pump. Could easily just repair/replace that and continue on with life.
A CAT filter on the OEM filter head solves zero issues other than adding another filter. The FASS/AirDog filters already do the same job and remove water which (depending on which CAT filter you use) doesn't have that feature. Also, the filters on FASS/AirDog pumps today filter to the same micron rating as the CAT filters.

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
A CAT filter on the OEM filter head solves zero issues other than adding another filter. The FASS/AirDog filters already do the same job and remove water which (depending on which CAT filter you use) doesn't have that feature. Also, the filters on FASS/AirDog pumps today filter to the same micron rating as the CAT filters.
not sure if you know what the filters are rated at but it is not the same

ac delco oem filter is 10 micron rated by itself , fass filters 10 micron on the separator and 5 micron on the filter followed by the high ef cat filter in stock location is down to 2 micron.

To each his own but separating the water and 10 microns , followed by 5 then 2 your going to have cleaner fuel

I would agree by just adding a cat filter in stock location is not helping at all unless its also a f/w separator

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
not sure if you know what the filters are rated at but it is not the same

ac delco oem filter is 10 micron rated by itself , fass filters 10 micron on the separator and 5 micron on the filter followed by the high ef cat filter in stock location is down to 2 micron.

To each his own but separating the water and 10 microns , followed by 5 then 2 your going to have cleaner fuel

I would agree by just adding a cat filter in stock location is not helping at all unless its also a f/w separator
IIRC unless it’s a UHE cat filter it’s not 2um. That said, FASS claims 2um absolute on their filters. If that rating is truthful or not I don’t know, I can only repeat what FASS claims. The XWS-3002 is a 2um filter/water sep and the PF-3001 is a 144um prefilter.

If FASS’s claims are accurate then a filter on the OEM filter head is useless.