LB7: Losing fuel prime when it's hot

Adoom01

Jun 15, 2015
Welland ontario canada
2002 silverado 2500hd lb7
when I bought it a year ago I put new injectors a and glow plugs in it because it needed then which it didn't fix the losing fuel prime when it's hot I have rebuilt the fuel filter head and put in a fuel pressure relief plug which still hasn't fixed the problem it starts fine when it's cold but when its at normal temperature u can't start it again it looses fuel prime it even runs fine no looping it stalling at all lacks on power a bit because it's getting at in from some where

Any ideas???

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Check the rubber lines that connect the hard lines to engine on drivers side by firewall. They sometimes get soft from the heat and suck together. Also make sure your fuel cap is venting

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
If replacing the fuel lines doesn't solve the problem, buy a completely new fuel head. This comes with new fuel filter and WIF also. Cost is in the neighborhood of $125 US.

If that doesn't solve the problem, install a lift pump, either a nice pre-engineered unit or even a home-built model, with a filter between the tank and the pump. (You want that new pump receiving only clean filtered fuel to send on to the engine.) I used an Airtex E8153 pump and a NAPA 4770 filter base, simple shut off valve to control spillage when changing filters. Has worked great since 2009.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Lift pump and remove the stock filter.

You can pressurize the fuel tank and look for leaks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BigdaddyCtrain

Big ideas but no money....
Dec 9, 2014
Idaho
I have this same issue on my 2001, and only in the heat. Most of the year here in Idaho it runs fine, but in the few summer months it starts too have issues. Takes longer to start, loping at idle, revving on it's own, etc. but give it any throttle it acts normal. Seems to be worst when i leave it sit in the sun for a few days, or after i take it on long drives. I rebuilt my fuel filter housing and took out the check ball when i got my nicktane and cat filter. In the process of removing it i accidentally cut the lines, so i replaced those too, they looked pretty rough so I'm glad i did. Nothing helped, so I bought a used 6.5 lift pump for $30 that I'm going to try and throw on there, we'll see if that helps..

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Old fuel cap. Ventless or seal the vent. I think old ford caps work. Drill a hole through it and insert a standard fill valve.

You can use a compressor or a hand pump. Turn the regulator down on the compressor. Pump it to 15 pounds or so. Don't want to spring new leaks. Now wait and look around, the prime pump should be hard too.

I suggest looking around ficm to make sure it isn't leaking there too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Adoom01

Jun 15, 2015
Welland ontario canada
I just let it cool off
or I will spray brake kleen in the breather tube and it will start
other then the starting problem it runs fine
I will check the fuel lines first I did notice that when I pulled the lines off the fuel filter head they came off way to easy with little effort

GeorgiaDieselGTO

Wants to drive his truck
May 12, 2010
Crossville
I no u put injectors in but that sounds like high return rates. Usually an air leak won't go away with just letting it cool it would need to be primed. Also the fact that a it will fire up with a shot of brakekleen would also lend to that cause usually that isn't enough to overcome an air leak.
( word of caution. be VERY careful with the starting fluids) :)