LMM: loose steering in dash area

warpspeed

Shadetree
Feb 10, 2012
Ohio
my steering wheel shaft has a inch of slop before the first universal joint.... the shaft is inside a tube in the dash so I really can't see anything. also the steering lock is broke... would that have anything to do with it? why is it sloppy?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Is this looking under the dash by the pedals? If so you may need a lower column bearing. Pretty straight forward to replace however I have never done one on an LMM. And our steering columns have never locked.

warpspeed

Shadetree
Feb 10, 2012
Ohio
ok the looseness is where the steering column tilts...of course I can't see anything in there & don't want to tear it apart w/out knowing what im getting into....anybody have any idea whats in there & what sorta fix it needs?

warpspeed

Shadetree
Feb 10, 2012
Ohio
Took the truck into the dealer to find out what was wrong, they tried to tell me it needed all new ball joints--- $2600!!!!!!!!!!!!! heck no.

The Idler arm bracket bolts were loose & the idler arm was slopping around--the tech didn't see that.....for a $75 inspection you'd think theyd check more than ball joints.

Soooo I finally got around to looking into this steering column more & theres a joint in the steering shaft where the column tilts that is not serviceable like the '90's trucks. You have to buy a whole new column, which comes with new shift lever & turn signal lever.....book says 1.2hrs to swap out...

Part number is 15775845 .

CHECK EBAY!!! I got a new one for $380 shipped, dealer wanted $750.

1/3 loose idler arm bracket, 1/3 sloppy ball joints, 1/3 seering shaft has very substantial slop= loose steering

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Ever need Gm parts and your stealership is a ass to deal with?
GO here:
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/productSearch.aspx

find the part numbers you need
google them
ebay search them

& buy the cheapest you find.....theres ALOT of surplus parts out there selling @ discount.

another tip---if the item is on ebay, typically if you call the seller, & buy over the phone with the credit card, they will cut you a discount because ebay/paypal fees rape them.

warpspeed

Shadetree
Feb 10, 2012
Ohio
Ok now im ticked....theres set screws on the steering shaft where it tilts, tightened them & it fixed the slop! Just pull the top cover off ur column to get to them.