Looking for help around KCMO

psi4pwr91

Aug 9, 2016
Warrensburg, MO
Hey ladies and gents! I'm new to the forum but not exactly new to the Duramax, but I've run into a problem that I need a little help with. It appears that my fuel pressure regulator has started to go bad. I would love to take it to one of the shops around Kansas City to get it fixed, but due to my wife's health (and her unexpected move to Florida and what I hope doesn't become a legal fiasco with my landlord), I can't really afford to get it in to a shop and get it fixed. I was hoping that someone out there might have some experience getting the FPR out and in. I have access to the auto hobby shop at Whiteman AFB, which should have the overwhelming majority of the tools needed to do the swap. Anything else we need I will cover, and I will guarantee dinner is on me.

If anyone is willing to volunteer their time and knowledge, I'd greatly appreciate it!

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Man if I was up there Id help Ya out.. I'm about 3.5 hours south.. I've got a buddy in warensburg

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
It's not hard to change, if you can do minor wrenching... Have you tried some 2-stroke oil in your fuel? It can help free up a sticky FPR.

psi4pwr91

Aug 9, 2016
Warrensburg, MO
I've thought about it, but I'm shortly going to be down to one vehicle, and I only have Saturdays available at the Auto Hobby Shop on base to do the work. They're closed on Sundays and Mondays, and I don't want to get halfway through the repair and have to stop and leave my truck for three or four days. I can't do the work at my apartment (despite having most of the tools) because of my lease. I'm afraid that the teardown and rebuild is going to take longer than the 8 hrs I have available on a Saturday to get done.

I've read about the 2-stroke oil trick, but I've been pretty reticent to try it. We don't have the best diesel around here, so I'm not entirely certain what's been run through this truck for 15+ years.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I'm just guessing it's an lb7 truck..

The last fpr I changed on one was a 45 min job...

psi4pwr91

Aug 9, 2016
Warrensburg, MO
It is an LB7 truck.

The other part of the job that may be more time consuming is a radiator flush and fill. I didn't have time to get to it when I swapped all the fluids for AMSOil at 125K. I figured since I have to drain off some of the coolant to get the thermostat housing out of the way, it would be a good time to do a flush and fill.

45 minutes and you were buttoned up? Pretty impressive, I doubt I'd wrap up all my swearing in under 45 minutes.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
It is an LB7 truck.

The other part of the job that may be more time consuming is a radiator flush and fill. I didn't have time to get to it when I swapped all the fluids for AMSOil at 125K. I figured since I have to drain off some of the coolant to get the thermostat housing out of the way, it would be a good time to do a flush and fill.

45 minutes and you were buttoned up? Pretty impressive, I doubt I'd wrap up all my swearing in under 45 minutes.

Yea 45 min from drive in to test drive.. But I've done one or 10 of them..

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Mine was making an injector racket and I put some 2 stroke oil in it 200:1 mix every time I fill up, not only did it fix my injector racket problem but it also quietened down the engine a lot to. I ask a while back on here about mine and that was the suggestion, FPR going bad put some 2 stroke oil in. Get the stuff in the blue jug at Wal-Mart that says TC-W3 on it. It's $12 and change here for a gallon. I mix 16 ounces to 25 gallons of fuel.

psi4pwr91

Aug 9, 2016
Warrensburg, MO
Well, about 100mi into this tank, and it's still surging pretty bad under certain conditions (backing up driveway, etc.). I'll finish this tank off and try the two stroke oil trick, but I have a feeling this fix isn't going to be fun. Or cheap.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I'm just south of Kansas city 20 minutes off of 69 in Louisburg, KS; which is a little over an hour from Warrsenburg.
Is it smoking at idle or have you checked balance rates just to verify?

Let me know if you need help, my doors are always open for helping others:hug:

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
It does not smoke at startup, when cold, or at idle. I have not checked balance rates. Injectors were swapped at 50K and the truck has 126K on it now.

More than likely it's your FPR but I had to ask being it is an LB7. My LB7 has 114k miles and it's on it's 3rd set of injectors so you never know, haha.

Yellowchevy

psi4pwr91

Aug 9, 2016
Warrensburg, MO
I totally understand. I'm going to try a tank of 2-stroke after this one and see how it goes. If I don't get any improvement, I'll plan on swapping the FPR.

Goss

Apr 4, 2016
Mulberry Grove, Il
I am on the other side of Missouri at Scott AFB. I am unable to help with truck, however based off your situation, wanted to offer some advice. If you have access to base I assume you are a vet or your spouse is. If that is the case, the base legal office may be able to assist with lease issues. If they are not able to the DAV is a wonderful organization, especially if you have a VA rating. If neither of those pertain to your situation let me know Ill point you in the best direction. Also if you separated or retired recently ( I think 2 years don't quote me) your re entitled to a move by the military, so you may be able to get a paid move to Florida with a no repercussions breaking of the lease. I retired in December, so i have some information.

psi4pwr91

Aug 9, 2016
Warrensburg, MO
Goss, thanks for the info but none of those apply to me. I talked to the legal office last week, and I got the typical "We can't represent or advise you on a civilian matter." I'm going to talk to the property management agency one more time, and if I don't get a resolution, I'm going to find a lawyer. DAV won't really help since I'm still on Active Duty and I don't have any kind of disability. I'm a good 6 years from retirement, and unless I get orders or my commander orders me into base housing, I won't be getting out of this apartment without the landlord's permission for 6 months.