Looking for head unit and speaker recommendations

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm putting together a little half ton daily driver, and I want to install a nice aftermarket stereo in it. I don't really keep up with what is good out there, so I'm hoping maybe some of you guys are into that stuff and can provide me some direction. The truck is a regular cab 04 Silverado. I have a JL Audio stealth box I plan to install in the center console and an alpine amp I hope will be able to drive the little 10" sub, but I do not have anything else. I'm not looking for something that is overly loud, but I do like clear, crisp sounds. For a head unit, I would like something that can connect to my phone for audio (doesn't matter if it is bluetooth or usb). I've never been very blown away by the apple car play (yes, I have an iphone) system interfaces I've seen. I want to be able to integrate it into the factory steering wheel controls and door dinger. I'm in a somewhat rural area, and I do still listen to FM radio which means reception is important to me. I prefer the look of a double DIN radio over a single DIN with a pocket. I'm looking for quality stuff but not top of the line. I would like to keep the cost at $750 or less if possible.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I'm putting together a little half ton daily driver, and I want to install a nice aftermarket stereo in it. I don't really keep up with what is good out there, so I'm hoping maybe some of you guys are into that stuff and can provide me some direction. The truck is a regular cab 04 Silverado. I have a JL Audio stealth box I plan to install in the center console and an alpine amp I hope will be able to drive the little 10" sub, but I do not have anything else. I'm not looking for something that is overly loud, but I do like clear, crisp sounds. For a head unit, I would like something that can connect to my phone for audio (doesn't matter if it is bluetooth or usb). I've never been very blown away by the apple car play (yes, I have an iphone) system interfaces I've seen. I want to be able to integrate it into the factory steering wheel controls and door dinger. I'm in a somewhat rural area, and I do still listen to FM radio which means reception is important to me. I prefer the look of a double DIN radio over a single DIN with a pocket. I'm looking for quality stuff but not top of the line. I would like to keep the cost at $750 or less if possible.

Sundown Audio SA-10 sub (choice your voice coils based on amp output) with Image Dynamics component door speakers w/tweeters. I've used the CTX and CXS components in my previous vehicle as well as a friends truck we put a system in, the bang for the buck is crazy and they sound phenomenal. Downside is, with any quality component, you're going to need an amp to drive them properly.

As for a headunit, they are pretty much take your pick from a quality brand that offers the features and conveniences you're after. I'm a fan of Pioneer and Kenwood. I've got a Pioneer single DIN in my 02 CCSB which pulls in bluetooth, 3.5 aux in, USB in, antenna, XM, and a cd deck. I mainly use it for XM or bluetooth audio. Check out Crutchfield or Woofers Etc, they have huge selections of everything.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I’ve always been partial to Ken wood head units. I like the interface. As far as speakers, I had high dollar excelon speakers, but JL is another step up if you can swing it. Crutchfield sells adapters to keep all factory dingers and controls.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
It's going to be hard to beat the balanced output of the stock head unit. Your best upgrade for sound quality will likely be in speakers and sub, then amp and lastly the radio/head unit. The issue is you want features that are part of a head unit that yours doesn't have.

On mine I kept the stock head unit and changed the amp with a class D and also added a sub amp to drive two 8" subs under my back seat. Kept the door speakers stock for now

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
My son put a don’t head unit and kicker speakers in the lb7. Great quality and sound.

Look at crutchfield website

Last edited:

grabmeacoors

Feb 7, 2016
Wisconsin

what head unit did you end up going with?