LBZ: Looking at an lbz . a few questions

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
I went to look at a used 07 gmc lt3 lbz (greystone with charcoal interior) ccsb today at carmax . It has every option i am wanting but price seems somewhat high which isnt the point of this thread but seems to be the trend for so cal lbz trucks under 100k are listed near 35k.

I didnt get much time with it today as i stopped in at my lunch , but i did look at it a bit and no signs of pump rub. the trans lines look brand new . i did a scan with hpt since i use it for my lsx gas vehicles . i have a efi v2 just havent set it up (planning to use it with the lbz i find) . I checked injector balance rates and i didnt get the engine quite warm but maybe 110f and i am showing...

1) -2.9 2)-0.4 3)1.8 4)1.3 5)-1.7 6)-1.6 7)-0.9 8)4.3

I can post a log but im sure most of you dont use hpt. I did a breif search and did find that 4.0 and under was ok and above 4 is ehhhhh but some injector cleansing should take care of it. im not oppsoed to having to do an injector as i am familiar to diesels or powerstrokes for trade.

im going back tomorrow to put it through the gears and get a more in depth with it but want some feedback or possible things to look for besides what im posting.

I found one thing that bugged me and it was a small amount of engine oil coming from the downpipe . it was near the v band clamp at the bottom and it didnt look to be seated correctly. So maybe turbine seal ???

The truck looks to be all stock with the exception to have had a camper shell and a bedrug(velcro in the bed) and a rbp 5" catback exhaust.

jevanb

Feb 28, 2011
montrose, michigan
I paid 35k OTD in 2006 for my brand new cc 4x LT1 LBZ. Father in law bought the same truck but in 07 in the gmc badge with the LT3 and leather and he paid 39 OTD, he just sold his for a 15 and got 24k with only 45k miles since new always garaged and never driven in the snow. So it looked brand new

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I would re-check the balance rates at operating temp. & in gear. As far as the oil leak it's hard to say without seeing it...

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
Here are a couple quick pics of the exhaust leak
f35e172dda9d41992b0e2449c7b0ce20.jpg
2516f5619b8bf7f0e4f69feaeed0b65b.jpg

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
Just found one listed today at 42k, 2007 chevy Ltd in o.c with 22k miles. Mileage and options plays a huge factor . The dark leather trucks seem to be more in demand also.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
$42,000 for an 8 year old truck? It probably didn't sell for that new. That is crazy. I can't believe someone would pay that but I bet someone will.
People/dealers still ask high 20s, low 30s for low mileage lbz's around here.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Just found one listed today at 42k, 2007 chevy Ltd in o.c with 22k miles. Mileage and options plays a huge factor . The dark leather trucks seem to be more in demand also.

I honestly wouldn't want one with that low of miles. I just worked on a customers 06 lbz that had 50k that he just bought. Been driving it about 5k and it's had a lot of abnormal leaks show up... Just me tho.

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
the truck im looking at is pretty clean for a 8 year old truck 72k miles isnt bad and after a test drive it felt good steering felt pretty good no intmediate shaft clunk . pitman and idlers look good . the toe out felt a bit off but nothing to bad that i dont plan to address anyway.

does anyone have an opinion on that exhaust leak ? not sure how much condensation would build up right there and it seems the pipe isnt coupled right so it could just be soot and condensation .

after a nice drive i have the warm injector balance rates and # 8 ended up around 3.2-3.5 after warm.

i may finalize this tomorrow but still on the fence for paying 35k for this truck . i have looked at a few others around 30k with identical features but with mods and this is by far the cleanest.

i do have plans for it but nothing crazy as im in ca but so far is leveling kit, lift pump , turbo back catless magnaflow (will replace every two year if needed). egr block plate ,idaho rob tune w dsp5, trans from mike l , cts insight for vitals and a pioneer avic 8000 for up to date electronics. im sure some exterior mods will work there way in as well.

btw thanks for the welcome but im not really new as i have posted here long ago with my lmm. just been out of the dmax game for a few years.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Man, thats pretty expensive for that year truck!!!

So, do you guys have a 72hr right of recision in cali regarding a vehicle purchase? We do here in washington...

If you do, and you feel like the truck is worth 35k buy it, and drive it home and rip the manifolds off and see if you can see oil coming from any cylinders...if theres no oil in any of the ports from a possible bad ring in one of the cylinders id then take the downpipe off and check out the turbine side of the turbo...and make sure the shaft seal inst leaking or something like that

IMO, Thats allot of oil, and the ONLY time i ever had any oil in my exhaust is when i blew a hole in the #8 piston

Or, maybe point the oil out to the dealership and tell them youll buy the truck if they proform an inspection of the manifolds and downpipe and allow you to view the manifolds and downpipe when theyre off, just for peace if mind...

Cuz I defenitely don't think that oil coming out of the V-band connection is "normal"

Best of luck!

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I paid 35k OTD in 2006 for my brand new cc 4x LT1 LBZ. Father in law bought the same truck but in 07 in the gmc badge with the LT3 and leather and he paid 39 OTD, he just sold his for a 15 and got 24k with only 45k miles since new always garaged and never driven in the snow. So it looked brand new

Your father in law gave his truck away at that price.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Why would anybody pay the same for a 8 year old truck as it was sold for brand new or close to that price

Because the 06-07 lbz is the last truck made with a duramax without dpf. To some people that's a big deal. Plus the lmm is ass ugly.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Because the 06-07 lbz is the last truck made with a duramax without dpf. To some people that's a big deal. Plus the lmm is ass ugly.
100% agree, but you have to admit $42K is way, way too high. The truck had better be more than perfect for that price. Oil and exhaust leaks like those would immediately knock that down a LOT. My worry is the turbo.

As for A1Tony's "welcome" -- he just does that to up his post count without ever actually helping anyone here. You can tell he doesn't read the thread he posts in, just wants to put his business name into newbie's minds. Its pretty much like spamming.

Last edited:

04chase

Mar 28, 2008

exactly why im after a lbz. the dpf systems are just a pita and inevitably have issues. i see it day in and day out on the ford systems .

im going to talk to them and see what they can do as for inspecting that oil leak further. but it is not dripping just a little on the pipe. since its carmax they have like a 10 day return policy most places here in ca have a no cooling off period so once you sign it is your.

i can find lbz in other areas for a much better price but i think it is the ca vehicles that are demanding higher prices.

i sold my 08 lmm about 2 years ago for 35k with a nice lift and plenty of mods with 65k miles.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I know LBZ's are worth gold but anything over 30k is too much for them. I bought mine new in 06 for 47k. 230k miles now.