Long shot

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The charge wire on my truck runs back through the red junction box above the power steering pump and ties directly to the positive battery cable that runs around from the driver's side battery to the starter. I believe that wire has a fusible link built into it, but there is no fuse anywhere that I see. As I recall, every truck from 01-07 was designed like that. They changed it with the LMM.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
If I remember right the 506 circuit had a short in it. I would have to look at my receipt to be sure though.

There's a bulletin out for that. Stating if the ECM doesn't see voltage on that circuit it will inhibit charging. However I have NEVER seen that happen nor do I believe it.

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
Just something simple and stupid to look for that bit me in the ass. Make sure all the points where the alt bracket touch the block are clean and the bracket and alt are grounded properly. These trucks are really finicky with grounding issues. Just a quick way to check it is run jumper cable from the case of the alt to the negative on the battery to ground it out. If the system charges, then you have your issue.

When I had this issue, I never once saw a "Low Battery night" Just a lot of weird codes.

Hope it helps

ryanelwood

Oct 29, 2013
WISCONSIN
I'm sad to say that I never got a chance to check anything. I had a battery charger on 2 amp deep cycle all night last night so that I could make the 15 minute trip to and from work today as I had no other mode of transportation. So on my way home from work all of a sudden my truck started to charge, I got home and put the multimeter on it to make sure I wasn't being tricked and sure enough it was charging. So evidently it fixed itself...I'm not sure what or how but it did. It does have me a little concerned but I guess I can't complain, for the time being I have a fully functioning truck, if you guys have any thoughts on what's going on I'd love to hear! Thanks for all the great tips and info I've already received its greatly appreciated!

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
yeah there's got to be a loose connection somewhere... Glad it's back up and running it's a shitty feeling when you're mode of transportation is doa.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/7k3a2-lb7-code-po380-head-gasket-r-r.html

The charge wire on my truck runs back through the red junction box above the power steering pump and ties directly to the positive battery cable that runs around from the driver's side battery to the starter. I believe that wire has a fusible link built into it, but there is no fuse anywhere that I see. As I recall, every truck from 01-07 was designed like that. They changed it with the LMM.

Josh,
I will post a link to the gm bulletin for the 175 amp mega fuse.
The lmm have the fuse on the passenger side firewall.
On lb7 as the op has and is listed in the bulletin, the megafuse is under the ubec case.

This is a common problem.

In fact the loose connection could have been a solder joint in the ecm.

Hopefully the truck is no longer a problem.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I checked for you about the computer being the culprit. It could cause that to happen but since it has started working again the ECM definitely is not the problem. ECM has to recognize the signal for alternator to charge. You must has a loose connection or a bad alternator.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/7k3a2-lb7-code-po380-head-gasket-r-r.html

Josh,
I will post a link to the gm bulletin for the 175 amp mega fuse.
The lmm have the fuse on the passenger side firewall.
On lb7 as the op has and is listed in the bulletin, the megafuse is under the ubec case.

This is a common problem.

In fact the loose connection could have been a solder joint in the ecm.

Hopefully the truck is no longer a problem.
I'll post the wiring diagram for the charging circuit as a reference for anyone else who is looking for information on it, but as you can see, the alternator does not charge back through any 175A fuse. There is only a fusible link in the charge wire.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Charging diagram (Copy).jpg
    Charging diagram (Copy).jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 93

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Josh, I'm certain you're correct because I've replaced all of that wiring on my truck. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed the large fuse along the way.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I'll post the wiring diagram for the charging circuit as a reference for anyone else who is looking for information on it, but as you can see, the alternator does not charge back through any 175A fuse. There is only a fusible link in the charge wire.

attachment.php

You are correct Josh. Upon looking at it I remembered you didn't need the fuse there to drive/use the truck. It doesn't effect the charging system only the glow plug/intake heater.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Ok josh,
I will have to check out my train of thought here.
I just had it in my mind when that megafuse blows the alt does not charge.
My techs have had it happen before on several occasions.
And we found no charge and popped megafuse.
Maybe it effects something else. Or is not directly charging through the fuse.
I will try and research a bit more because I feel very certain on this.

But from your schematic it does not make sense.

Why does the bulletin list the 175 amp fuse as well?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Ok josh,

It's right there in the link you posted.

If the 175-amp battery fuse OR circuit 506 is open, no voltage will be present on circuit 506 at the PCM. This will cause the P0380 to set. The ECM monitors the glow plug signal using circuit 506. The ECM expects to see battery voltage on circuit 506 when the glow plugs are commanded on. If no voltage is present on circuit 506, the ECM will stop sending the turn on voltage to the generator L terminal circuit 25, causing the no charge condition and the P0621 to set.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Ok josh,

I've replaced the charge wire on my LB7 and besides the fusible link it definitely didn't go to a giant fuse. Perhaps a problem with the glow plug circuit can blow the fuse and kill the alternator?

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Ok josh I got it.
The alternator does not charge through the fuse but if the fuse pops the alternator doesn't charge.

No bs man all these years I never looked that deep into it.
I just knew after working on a truck and it didn't charge it was always that fuse.
I guess I just thought life was that simple.
Ignorance is bliss, and now I am ruined!
Thanks buddy :)

firsthitch

Feb 4, 2021
I have a 03 GMC 4500 new alternator new batteries it charges sometimes sometimes it won't I took it to the shops they put it on a machine and alternator is good I'm coming to the collision I think it is the computer everything else checks out what do you think