Question: LMM transfer case in LB7

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I searched around and I couldn't find the answer to this.

Can you bolt a LMM transfer case up in place of a LB7 transfer case?

The reason I ask is because the LMM transfer case "supposedly" fixed the pump rub problem, and I started to wonder if I happened to come across a new T-Case, could I use it?

I realize this is probably not the cost effective way to fix the pump rub problem, but I wanted to know, for the record, do they interchange?

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
I'd like to know if the pump rub fix is the only difference. I already took the TC out of my LMM and I don't even have my twins on yet. A little nervous about it.

maxxflip

Apr 25, 2009
Alberta
Its still a np263shd AFAIK, so i dont see why it wouldn't,but i would like to know for sure also.
They supposedly went back to a aluminum rear half case instead of the magnesium..

HogAssWild

Nov 12, 2009
I do know that they look different.... the actuator is in a different spot

I sold a lmm transfercase to a guy with a lb7 (not sure what year) told him to let me know if it didn't work out ... never heard from him so I assumed it worked

Ill try and get ahold of him

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
First of all you will need a bigger driveshaft yoke. Second, will the electronics work? Bet not.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
First of all you will need a bigger driveshaft yoke. Second, will the electronics work? Bet not.
Hmm, so you'd need to use the newer driveshaft (or modify the old one)? Don't the new shafts have better u-joints than the old ones? This seems like a win-win, aside from the cost and effort.

The only thing would be the actuator/electronics. Does anyone have the diagram for the LMM T-Case actuator? I can find the LB7 diagram. Then, we'd just have to compare them, right?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I'll see if I can dig up schematics for the 01-02 & 03-06 trucks. In theory, the electronics on the TC should be "dumb".

Sent via Tapatalk from my Epic 4G

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Differential yoke will have to be replaced as well because of the bigger ujoints. May be a speed sensor issue also.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I thought the transfer case in the LMM was made by BW instead of NVG?

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
My question is why?:confused:

If you are only worried about the pump rub, that is fixed for less than $100 (including the pump rub plate, gasket, seal, and silicone)? It is not that hard if nothing else is wrong with the case.

It seems to be more work to fit in the newer case than to just fix the problem...ignoring the cost issues.