LMM stand alone loss of power no codes

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
at what point in the log file you posted does the "limp" happen. looks like at 13:20:20 you try to give her hard throttle and mm3 is limited to 60.

time to start turning codes back on and going from there. Otherwise its all a shot in the dark.
The limp started at 13.15.50, at 13.20 it was running fine, the only things I have "tuned out" is the stuff that is no longer there. and what gets me is it ran fine for 700 miles.

Are you saying I should start all over with a stock tune?
I wonder if I should try a full flash of the final tune and see if is something that shows up after so many miles.
I have no idea where to start to turn codes back on as I am thinking it would complain about any of them as that hardware no longer exists, not saying I disagree with you because as far as tuning I am a total rookie!!!

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
MAF reading looks awfully high for the load and RPM I'm seeing in that screen shot. I would look at MAF sensor scaling.
One reason the MAF might look suspicious is I have a custom intake with an aftermarket 4" ID MAF pipe, the machine also has a Cheetah turbo

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The limp started at 13.15.50, at 13.20 it was running fine, the only things I have "tuned out" is the stuff that is no longer there. and what gets me is it ran fine for 700 miles.

Are you saying I should start all over with a stock tune?
I wonder if I should try a full flash of the final tune and see if is something that shows up after so many miles.
I have no idea where to start to turn codes back on as I am thinking it would complain about any of them as that hardware no longer exists, not saying I disagree with you because as far as tuning I am a total rookie!!!

im saying the codes you turned off that are engine related need to be turned back on, started up, driven and then list all the codes out for us. Yes you will have some for the deletes you did and so on but you may have turned something off code wise but missed in the tune. if we see all the codes regardless of the swap or not, it gives us somewhere to start. Let it complain, lets see what happens. at this point it hurts nothing

Reactions: Mogman

buick455

Sep 26, 2010
I have an LMM that was doing just about the same thing. It took quite a while to narrow it down because it started out very random and eventually got worse. On mine I found that the MAP sensor would lose its 5v reference and it would derate but it would not throw a code. I checked at the bale connector and it would lose it there and I traced it back to a bad ECM as it would lose that circuits 5v reference right from the ECM. I am not using the EGR so at the bale connectors I stole one of the EGR 5v references and plugged that into the MAP 5v circuit and its been perfect ever since. It was a very interesting one.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
im saying the codes you turned off that are engine related need to be turned back on, started up, driven and then list all the codes out for us. Yes you will have some for the deletes you did and so on but you may have turned something off code wise but missed in the tune. if we see all the codes regardless of the swap or not, it gives us somewhere to start. Let it complain, lets see what happens. at this point it hurts nothing
Well I guess I should just start over as I cannot remember everything I did or what its original state was, this will take a while as I have some ranch commitments I have to do this week, trying to find some balance.
But you might be right, I mostly just tried to make it quit complaining, I did go through the tune and did some things that seemed pretty obvious but again I really am a rookie at this.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
One reason the MAF might look suspicious is I have a custom intake with an aftermarket 4" ID MAF pipe, the machine also has a Cheetah turbo
Is the MAF sensor scaling table stock, or did you fix it for the custom intake piping? Did you happen to disable any MAF sensor codes in your tuning?

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
I did not modify the stock MAF tables, would not know where to start, I did not change the MAF codes in the DTC, if I unplug the MAF I get a MIL and codes.
This is my tune in case anyone wants to see it, I did do some mods to the turbo position tables to try and get the LB7 idle, which did work

Attachments

• FINAL HMMWV.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I'll take a look at your log later tonight and see if anything jumps out at me. However Josh is probably good at diagnosing this as anyone.

Worst case, take a stock tune file and disable VATS, then disable the few DTCs related to things you have removed. Fire that up and go for a spin and see what codes it sets. Again I'll review what ya have captyres when get a min to set down tonight.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I reviewed the log and nothing jumped out at me. While you should re-calibrate the MAF due to the bigger tube, that's not likely your problem. So as stated above, probably be best to try a stock tune file with all the DTC's active and then go by process of elimination. Like what codes exist right after start up, compared to what shows after limp.

Need t make a couple changes to your logging pids. SAE.MAP is junk, not accurate on LMM. Use MAP 2. Also add APP so we can see where the pedal is at compared to other data when it limps. See notes in image attached.

PIDS.jpg

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
"I reviewed the log and nothing jumped out at me. While you should re-calibrate the MAF due to the bigger tube, that's not likely your problem. So as stated above, probably be best to try a stock tune file with all the DTC's active and then go by process of elimination. Like what codes exist right after start up, compared to what shows after limp."

What I did this morning is I installed the HMMWV ECM into my 1 ton and did a full flash, then went on a test drive and all seems well, (this would for now seem to eliminate any ECM issues) then I installed the ECM from the 1 ton as is (the security has already been defeated) and fired it up

For some reason all I get on my $1000 EFIive hand held is U0141 and U0120, these codes I have never been able to delete.

On my cheapo Maxiscan I get P2455, P02E8, P0405, P0546 and P2033 but no U0141 or U0120

On the VIDENT "GM only" I get U0106, P0831, P2455, P02E8, P0405, P0546 and P0233

THIS is one of the most frustrating part in all of this, I have NO IDEA if what I am seeing is all the codes as NO two readers ever agree

So at this point I am not sure if it will be in permanent limp mode now or not, not as easy as most to test drive as I have to open and close a couple gates each way.

Should I go ahead and delete the EGT, filter and glow plug codes before test driving?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
have you adjusted all the tables for those codes? what have you set those codes to in the DTC section? follow the vident for now.

c1901-c1913 will need adjustment
c2001-c2004 will need adjustment
c2101-c2106 will need adjustment

set p2455, p02E8, P0405, P0546, P2033 to not reported, no MIL

P0831 does not come up with anything for an 08 dmax.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
NO LIMP!! I took it for a drive AS IS and she seemed to run perfectly, I was surprised with the 4.92 gear ratio and 37" tires the error at 60MPH is only 3MPH over the 3.73 and stock 1 ton tires, it actually shifts a little better.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
have you adjusted all the tables for those codes? what have you set those codes to in the DTC section? follow the vident for now.

c1901-c1913 will need adjustment
c2001-c2004 will need adjustment
c2101-c2106 will need adjustment

set p2455, p02E8, P0405, P0546, P2033 to not reported, no MIL

P0831 does not come up with anything for an 08 dmax.
I have not made any adjustments yet, I will set those codes and look at the tables
For example what should I do with C1901 since there is no EGT sensor? All zeros?
Thanks!!!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have not made any adjustments yet, I will set those codes and look at the tables
For example what should I do with C1901 since there is no EGT sensor? All zeros?
Thanks!!!

read the description of each table and adjust so the computer wont make these tests. EFI Live gives the limits of each table next to the description so you know the max or min you can put in the tables as well

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
read the description of each table and adjust so the computer wont make these tests. EFI Live gives the limits of each table next to the description so you know the max or min you can put in the tables as well
So for example if I set C1909 for 8000 RPM and 1913 to 200 it will never do the tests yes?

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Also I am now getting a U0106 so I assume I can kill that TDC for the glow plug controller also?

ALSO the MAF tube came with 76MM and 89MM calibration inserts, what would the correct ID be for the LMM?

AND is it OK to edit the turbo position tables to get the decent idle back? dang thing sounds like a T38 warming up on the tarmac

Last edited: