LMM sluggish/smokey once hot at 2000rpm

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
"pensacola" is all the information you need. Fix that and see if there is anything else after. But you will have a really hard time with diagnosis before that

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
"pensacola" is all the information you need. Fix that and see if there is anything else after. But you will have a really hard time with diagnosis before that

X2

Still pull a datalog and see what's going on, could be doing some weird fueling stuff. If it's not, then you know to look at the injectors.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Weird, maybe I'm the only one who has had white smoke from a broken piston, bent rod, or a bad turbo. But in this case he said it clears up, which I would not expect from a whole set of crap injectors, which is why I think more data is needed

He will have a broken piston/ bent rod after he data logs while he has a leaky injector :roflmao:

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
While I totally understand the Pensacola thing, this reminds me of the threads where someone will ask about a trans problem and someone else(who probably actually cannot help with the situation) always asks 'Who built the trans'

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DuraRI

Aug 9, 2018
Rhode Island
I'm not sure there is enough data here to jump on the bad injector train. Nobody asked if the truck is making a big change in fuel quantity when this starts to happen, or pulsewidth, or timing, or what the desired vs actual vane position is doing. These are all relevant variables. A crap turbo will even feel sluggish and cause excess smoke.

Thank you....I feel like this is the appropriate approach. I was hesitant to say where the injectors were from because I felt everyone would just condemn them with out doing some due diligence on the data. The correct response was we need to see the data...how can we go from not having enough data to a $4k set of injectors? Not saying its not the injectors..and if it turns out to be injectors I will buy you all a beer and you can tell me "told you so" but until then let's actually work and diagnose the issue vs throw parts at.

DuraRI

Aug 9, 2018
Rhode Island
While I totally understand the Pensacola thing, this reminds me of the threads where someone will ask about a trans problem and someone else(who probably actually cannot help with the situation) always asks 'Who built the trans'

I get it too...not the best name in diesel injectors...doesn't mean it's the problem....yet.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
So pull the glow plugs when the motor is warm and disable the injectors and crank, don’t waste the reputable tuners time with data logs.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The fact it does this on the stock tune, with only 30% injectors, tells me it isn't the tune. I wouldn't waste your tuner's time with logs since it did it on the stock file too.

Worth checking for leaky injectors as mentioned, can even do a compression check. I suspect it is bad injectors, but it is worth checking other possibilities.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I don't think anyone suggested it was a tune problem?
The first few replies were talking about having the tuner diagnose the issue. I guess not saying it was a tune issue, but I'm not sure sending logs to the tuner is the right way to diagnose this. But I also agree with you that we can't condem the injectors with what we know so far. Though if I was a betting man, the injectors are probably a good bet.

IMO a log is a good diagnostic step. See if the temp sensor is working right, see if the ECU is doing reasonable things.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I'm not sure there is enough data here to jump on the bad injector train. Nobody asked if the truck is making a big change in fuel quantity when this starts to happen, or pulsewidth, or timing, or what the desired vs actual vane position is doing. These are all relevant variables. A crap turbo will even feel sluggish and cause excess smoke.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

It's looking like we found the issue. Nozzles are bad...and not 30% as they were supposed to be.

Glad you got it figured out.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
It's looking like we found the issue. Nozzles are bad...and not 30% as they were supposed to be.
So Pensacola sells bosch remans? I'd hope no matter who the dealer is, a bosch is a bosch. I buy piles of bosch remans from my local dealer with not one problem. They aren't even a site sponsor! Lol.

Is the truck running yet? Hopefully it's simple as nozzle swap. But man the nozzle hone dude must've screwed up big time on yours