LMM problems??

m&mjenna

Mar 6, 2017
Hey Guys new to diesels and the forum.
a few things have been happening to my truck and I can't figure out why.

Ok so first thing i wanna talk about is i keep getting P0101 which is common but I've had my CAI on for about 5 months with no problems until about a 2 weeks ago the first time and i cleaned my MAF and had no problems for over a week including a 3000+ mile road trip through TX,NM,AZ,UT, and CA then i get it at random times.

Next I've been having increased regens 6 months ago every 250-270 miles like clock work and my last one was 70 miles from the last one!! so this problem makes me thing maybe the EGR/DPF is bad and that is what throws the code?
DPF looks fine seems like I'm slowly losing coolant its still full but not overflowing like it was 6 months ago.

Last is at WOT she doesn't want to go over 3K RPM don't think its the filter cause less than 5K miles and rail pressure isn't dropping at all and it only started yesterday but it happens overtime i hammer on it now:confused::confused:

I haven't tuned her at all but I'm wondering if things could be off because of my mods?? Just thought id ask people with a little more knowledge than myself:thumb:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
First off welcome to DD

What did you use to clean the MAF sensor? Not sure on the afe kits or lmm, is it possible to put it in the wrong direction? I would think if the MAF is reading wrong it could cause regen issues... I would fix/clean/replace the MAF sensor then see what the regens did after that.

I know Idaho Rob at ATP trucks does emission equipment intact tunes and has had great success with the LML, i'm sure he has similar results with the LMM.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
Noticed in your sig that you have a Cat filter adapter, I don't know if you are, but I would suggest not running the actual Cat filter that comes with those kits sometimes.

m&mjenna

Mar 6, 2017
I just used some CRC MAF cleaner i got at auto zone and its not in the wrong way but you maybe right i might need a new one it could be broken.

I am using the filter that came with the kit I didn't think that was the problem because it wasn't giving me issues on the trip but filters are cheap enough ill just switch it out.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I highly doubt the Cat filter is a problem but you can do what ever you want.

You may try cleaning it again and see how it acts.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Never had an issue with the cat filter. A lot of people say they're bad because the lack of water separator but I don't see a huge issue there. Eventually I'll put one on the rail.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
I'm sure the filter is working just fine, was more talking to the lack of water filtration like Zak said.

m&mjenna

Mar 6, 2017
Don't think its a boost leak have no problems making boost. my MAF g/s is about 20 at idle if that helps any I'm thinking/hoping its a bad sensor cause it should be 40 g/s right? Truck does have 200K+ on it so could it be the EGR is clogged up or something?

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
The irritating P0101 is all too common for me, especially when the outside temps warm up. I also notice it happening at idle/stopped. I've yet to permanently fix the issue. Not convinced its the actual sensor and I'm leaning more towards mapping issues. I'm no expert on the DPF, but it sounds like it might be plugging up/other emissions components plugging up (EGR valve, etc) Have you received any other codes? How many miles are on your rig?

chevor

Highway hauler.
Sep 17, 2015
On the Road
My experience has been repeated p0101 means change air filter.

And on the LMM engine every time Po101 comes up the truck will automatically go into regen.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
p0101 is a pain in the ass. Mine reared it's head about two years ago while visiting my Sister in VA. I changed my air filter (stock to stock!) and the new filter kept throwing the code. I compared my MAF readings and both were in spec; old and new filters. So I adjusted my tune so it wouldn't throw the code at idle, and all is fine.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
p0101 is a pain in the ass. Mine reared it's head about two years ago while visiting my Sister in VA. I changed my air filter (stock to stock!) and the new filter kept throwing the code. I compared my MAF readings and both were in spec; old and new filters. So I adjusted my tune so it wouldn't throw the code at idle, and all is fine.
What exactly did you change on the tune? I'm not privy to having access to tuning, as I'm tuned by Moonshine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

m&mjenna

Mar 6, 2017
The irritating P0101 is all too common for me, especially when the outside temps warm up. I also notice it happening at idle/stopped. I've yet to permanently fix the issue. Not convinced its the actual sensor and I'm leaning more towards mapping issues. I'm no expert on the DPF, but it sounds like it might be plugging up/other emissions components plugging up (EGR valve, etc) Have you received any other codes? How many miles are on your rig?

well i took the intake manifold off and cleaned it out with some carb cleaner wasn't too bad for 205k miles I thought but haven't thrown the code yet. Im now getting a p0098 folly cause I took the Y pipe off to get the manifold off but other than that no other codes just the increased regens

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
well i took the intake manifold off and cleaned it out with some carb cleaner wasn't too bad for 205k miles I thought but haven't thrown the code yet. Im now getting a p0098 folly cause I took the Y pipe off to get the manifold off but other than that no other codes just the increased regens

Sounds like the DPF may be on it's way out. Unfortunately those things aren't designed to last forever. I haven't priced one, but I'm sure they aren't cheap. Hope you get this issue resolved soon, as I'm sure your MPG are suffering.