LMM engine temps

calabria69

Beerstud1
Oct 8, 2008
Santaquin, Utah
does anybody else experience excessive engine temps with this motor??
everytime i pull heavy it gets awefully hot...it will get up to 240-245 and the
fan cools it, but it seems like the fan should kick in a lot sooner than it does....
the egts are not a problem, very rarely sees 1200, thanks to mpi, wondering if
the problem lies with in the driver...you can literally go as fast as you want up hills:D

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
does anybody else experience excessive engine temps with this motor??
everytime i pull heavy it gets awefully hot...it will get up to 240-245 and the
fan cools it, but it seems like the fan should kick in a lot sooner than it does....
the egts are not a problem, very rarely sees 1200, thanks to mpi, wondering if
the problem lies with in the driver...you can literally go as fast as you want up hills:D

Is that with the gauge or EFI? Maybe its in the sending unit....seams really hot.

wikdlmm

<-- OWFA
Jun 27, 2008
san angelo
Mine runs 210 on the gauge all the time after it warms up.. It has only gone over 210 once when I was pulling my 36ft fith wheel with my allout race tune..

calabria69

Beerstud1
Oct 8, 2008
Santaquin, Utah
Is that with the gauge or EFI? Maybe its in the sending unit....seams really hot.

thats my thought also, i have an edge insight...the majority of the time it runs
around 190-205...the fan does kick on and cool it right down it just seems damn hot to me...if its a long straight pull not so bad, its mostly when u have to slow for tight curves, and get back in the throttle, might just be the nature of the beast

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
The highest I've seen was 220 when it was stock towing my trailer up a hill floored. That seems pretty warm, what does your oil temp show when it gets that hot?

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Just looking at the dash gauge, mine has ever gone past the middle mark (210?) I tow 11k-12k like I stole it, and only the trans gets hot. Haven't logged it with EFI Live though

motohed

dirty payback
Apr 15, 2008
escondido, ca
ive never seen above 220 on my insight. that was doing donuts in the sand for about 5 minutes straight pegged in 3rd though.

Last edited:

calabria69

Beerstud1
Oct 8, 2008
Santaquin, Utah
mine has gotten to just below 3/4 3 times now towing a 21' toybox trailer....

i also hit that recently in some 110 degree temps with just a bike in the back.
3/4 on the factory gauge?? that is where mine is at when it hits 240....
oil temp is around 280 when running this hot, although oil temp is always
hotter than coolant at all heat levels according to the insight......i dont get any
warnings of an over heating engine....could it be the 550 hp tune im running??
ill try a more mild tune...

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I would definatly look into a aftermarket oil cooler , especially with LMM pistons having a tendency to fail , might end up being cheap insurance . My truck has done it once or twice if i am towing real heavy and really running it hard ( 80 mph WOT ) up extemly long steep grades ( Parley's ) , even though EGT's are under 1200 it will still heat soak things to a point that the cooling system might not be able to keep up .

Last edited:

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
After a few 130mph runs in a (safe) road I saw it get to 199 via insight. As soon as I slowed down I heard the fan kick on. Never have I seen it go past 199. I run Robs street tune all the time, egts are about 1200 at wot. How about looking into electric fans. I have a set from my c5 if you want to experiment.

calabria69

Beerstud1
Oct 8, 2008
Santaquin, Utah
After a few 130mph runs in a (safe) road I saw it get to 199 via insight. As soon as I slowed down I heard the fan kick on. Never have I seen it go past 199. I run Robs street tune all the time, egts are about 1200 at wot. How about looking into electric fans. I have a set from my c5 if you want to experiment.

i heard that fans are not the way to go if you pull, the fan from the factory actually
has more cfm's than the electric....just what i have researched, oil cooler is the only thing i can think of, unless you can make a switch or something and control the fan from the cab.....thanks though, i will research that again to make sure i got that correct....

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
i heard that fans are not the way to go if you pull, the fan from the factory actually
has more cfm's than the electric....just what i have researched, oil cooler is the only thing i can think of, unless you can make a switch or something and control the fan from the cab.....thanks though, i will research that again to make sure i got that correct....

Not sure of cfm's but your probably right. The factory one is pretty big. Is it driven by viscous? The idea of having a switch isn't bad, but the question is where the heck to stick those fans LOL. With a switch you can control it before that fact of it overheating. Well I might be way off so sorry if it sounds like nonsense. Just trying to give an idea.

calabria69

Beerstud1
Oct 8, 2008
Santaquin, Utah
Not sure of cfm's but your probably right. The factory one is pretty big. Is it driven by viscous? The idea of having a switch isn't bad, but the question is where the heck to stick those fans LOL. With a switch you can control it before that fact of it overheating. Well I might be way off so sorry if it sounds like nonsense. Just trying to give an idea.

no worries, did some research on the oil cooler....problem is with winter, and spring....oil temps never get over 190, with the cooler i wonder if it would be too much, definitley want good circulation with colder weather??
not even going to worry about it, just gonna drive the sheot out of it!!

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
no worries, did some research on the oil cooler....problem is with winter, and spring....oil temps never get over 190, with the cooler i wonder if it would be too much, definitley want good circulation with colder weather??
not even going to worry about it, just gonna drive the sheot out of it!!

Maybe drop down to a thinner oil or synthetic for the winter?