LMM Allison questions

JohnnyDangerous

May 9, 2020
Hey, Mike.

I was wondering if I could pick your brain on something. For several years, my tranny has been giving me some issues. Rolling on power in 4th, 5th or 6th with a trailer on the hitch (less than 5000 lbs), on my level 3 or 4 Idaho Rob tune, the tranny shudders like crazy. I don't use level 5. I can't tell if this is clutch slip or torque converter shudder. From what I have read on the forums, it sounds more like the TC, but I'm guessing.

I don't have any good Allison mechanics here in central BC (that I know of), so I'll likely be taking it to Vancouver to be worked on (500 miles away). I wanted to ask, given the time it takes to pull an Allison, would you recommend doing both the TC and the tranny if it is just the TC giving me issues? Also, is there any way to definitely diagnose the issue with basic skills and tools? Happy to pay someone to do it, I just haven't found anyone local that instills confidence. :) It hasn't thrown any codes, but does seem to be getting worse.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I was thinking of going to BD Diesel Performance since they sell reman'd beefed up Allisons here in BC, and the USD exchange rate is terrible right now. Open to any recommendations though! Contemplating a full TC/tranny swap, but if the transmission is still good, the wife would prefer I didn't spend the extra money. :roflmao:
Thanks for your time!!

2007.5 LMM Silverado 2500HD Crew cab regular box 4x4 Z-71 LTZ
EFI Live tuning by Idaho Rob (up to 150 HP)
Edge monitor with pyrometer
Airdog 165
4" exhaust, DPF deleted
Banks intake and Superscoop.
Transgo Jr.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I would do the trans at the same time as you do have clutch damage. If you only do the converter; I suggest a cheaper single disc. Don't invest in a high dollar converter behind a worn out trans.

JohnnyDangerous

May 9, 2020
Thanks Mike. If you figure it is both the TC and the clutches, I'll do both. Do it once, do it right and all that.... :). Cheers!