LML radiator

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Uncle's 2014 LML has developed a leak in the radiator so he wants to replace it. He is asking if the Duralast radiators are any good.

What do you guys think? He is looking at just ordering one form a local auto parts store. Nothing fancy like a Mishimoto. What one would you guys suggest? AC Delco, Duralast, TYC, NAPA or is the dealership the only way to go?

I've already told him about the rubber flaps around the fan rubbing on it but he thinks it is one of the plastic end caps leaking from overpressure caused by too restrictive thermostats (never heard of that issues) that he read about online somewhere

Give me your vote on radiators and the lowdown on this overpressure thermostat issue please

Thanks Jason

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Bump. Anyone have any input? I know he is going to ask me about this at dinner tonight

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I was placing my bets on the AC Delco

How does Duralast from AutoZone compare? Worth the difference in price or is there any particular issues with them? If I dont have any reason to get OE over Duralast then he will likely get the cheaper option.

I found a TSB on the thermostat pressure issues and it looks like it only pertains to the 5.3 and 6.2 engines.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Honestly, don’t stress over his choice. If he doesn’t understand that running g a cheap radiator on an expensive motor just sounds like a bad idea, you probably wouldn’t change his mind to begin with.

On cheap ones, you never know what your going to get for wall thicknesses, crimps, fins in the cores (staggered or straight through??) or core thickness.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I hear you. I gave him my 2¢ on the radiators. He just keeps going back to the AC Delco being $100 more

I think it comes down to the fact that the truck was a retirement gift from work so he didn't have to pay for it. So the reality may not be there for cost of these things

Thanks Jason

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I hear you. I gave him my 2¢ on the radiators. He just keeps going back to the AC Delco being $100 more

I think it comes down to the fact that the truck was a retirement gift from work so he didn't have to pay for it. So the reality may not be there for cost of these things

Thanks Jason

Maybe there's a Radiator shop near you that can fix it? There's a great guy near me that brazes,welds, cleans, re-gaskets radiators for a very reasonable price. It's not like they are in every city, but it may be worth a look.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

Thanks Jason

He should probably sell it before the CP4 blows :thumb: AC Delco would be my choice

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Spectra is about the only company left making aftermarket. Doesn't matter which store you buy it from, it's most likely made by Spectra. The only exception I've found is Napa whose premium line has been mostly re-boxxed ACDelco. I will say the Spectra radiator in my Suburban is 10 years old now and still hanging in there.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Spectra is about the only company left making aftermarket. Doesn't matter which store you buy it from, it's most likely made by Spectra. The only exception I've found is Napa whose premium line has been mostly re-boxxed ACDelco. I will say the Spectra radiator in my Suburban is 10 years old now and still hanging in there.

Is that only for the Duramax or GM?

SheeB

Oct 7, 2013
Ottawa,Ontario,CANADA
My radiator is doing the samething but I've been putting off the repair as it only looses a litre of coolant every 6 months.

Is changing out the radiator a big job on the LML?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I've used both ACDelco and Northern Radiator without issues for years. Northern is our typical source for all brands/models and I have not had one leak in the last ~8yrs we've used them from a defect.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I poked my head under the hood the other day and there is a large wet spot center and a little to the passenger side of the radiator from what I can see through the fan blades. I looked at the rubber flaps and didn't see any reversed. Hmm...

As for the brands, I've said my part and its in his hands now