LML Manual Conversion

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Looking for a creative discussion on this.

For the T87 TCM will it derate engine with no trans solenoids in place? I dont see a table in efi to delete the codes? would that even help?

Internal mode switch, looks like its just 4 on/off switch, could replicate with 4 relays.

Disable MIL request from TCM in the ECM, that should take care of trans derate??

What am I missing here? Theres a guy that did a LMM years ago and i think this is about what he did. Cant get ahold of him he has dissapeared off the socials.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Following. I am guessing this is going in your Camaro in your picture? Any specific reason you chose to use an LML ECM and not something simpler where a manual OS already exists?

Reactions: Jakezed22

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Correct, tossing the idea around it has a 6l90 in it now.

Went with the lml because it shares same can bus messages as the factory ecm did so i retained my factory gauges and back up cam etc.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
how much torque you pushing? i looked into doing this for a buddies apache but i couldnt find a manual strong enough to hold up to the torque we'd be pushing the engine to.

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Probably too much for a t56, I’m just looking at options. But the 6l90e isn’t suppose to hold up either according to some experts lol.

I talked to Dylan on the phone today, he built the Lmm zf6.

He said he wired the e35b like a manual lbz came from factory. Then was able to custom program the can bus messages required for it to work like factory. Also mentioned he was in contact with Ben Tyler way back then about it.

He also mentioned he has done a LMl now. In its case he has done the method I stated above, keeping the tcm in place as a dummy unit to keep things happy.

Also also he swears he’s seen Lmm and lml factory manual trucks that are in Mexico. I dug but can’t find any info on these beside gas variants of the same years.

Was good talk, very nice guy told me to contact him if I run into any issues once I pursue the conversion.

Reactions: DAVe3283

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
how much torque you pushing? i looked into doing this for a buddies apache but i couldnt find a manual strong enough to hold up to the torque we'd be pushing the engine to.
what's the torque rating of the ZF6 best I remember it's around like 520. That's gotta be wrong because the stock DMax does better than that doesn't it? Similarly, best I could find on the torque rating of the tr6060 is like 420. So if the zf6 is proven to stand up to high hp/tq diesel applications inspite of it's marginal rating, maybe a mild dmax would be ok behind a tr6060 or beefed up t56 with it's relatively similar rating?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
what's the torque rating of the ZF6 best I remember it's around like 520. That's gotta be wrong because the stock DMax does better than that doesn't it? Similarly, best I could find on the torque rating of the tr6060 is like 420. So if the zf6 is proven to stand up to high hp/tq diesel applications inspite of it's marginal rating, maybe a mild dmax would be ok behind a tr6060 or beefed up t56 with it's relatively similar rating?

Wellllllllll not really. The zf6 is far bigger than the t56 and tr6060, It has much more inertia behind it and shifts slower due to it which saves it. I watch gassers hurt those transmissions without trying too hard. The built ones are pretty much rated for the torque they say they are. I’ve seen a few race cars start breaking them once they are being pushed beyond that or need a regular full tear town and inspection/rebuild

You beat on a zf too much and it starts hurting parts too. Just does a better job than those smaller transmissions.

It’s kinda like asking about an Allison holding 800hp all day after a built but a 68rfe will eat clutches left and right fully built at the same hp. Apples to oranges comparison

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I agree with James, I don't think there is much of a manual trans that will easily fit the tunnel AND take the abuse/tq even a stock fuel/air LML will make. The 6L90 IMO is better suited for that task.

Is the 6L90 giving you issues or was this more of a "I think it would be neat" type of thought?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Might work in a car and last a little while. Street tires will help but doing highway pulls will kill 5th and 6th.

900ft lbs is like a 400-450hp diesel. Llllaaaammmeeee. Gimme 600-800hp

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
I agree with James, I don't think there is much of a manual trans that will easily fit the tunnel AND take the abuse/tq even a stock fuel/air LML will make. The 6L90 IMO is better suited for that task.

Is the 6L90 giving you issues or was this more of a "I think it would be neat" type of thought?

6l90 is fine so far, havent beat on it to hard.

Manual is just a would be fun thing. Rowing through gears on a quick manual would be pretty sweet with a diesel. Other half is to try something new for a challenge on the car. With the light weight of the car compared to a truck a built up T-56 i think it would last a while. I wont ever push more the 600hp with this car. Its just my weekend fun car, will only see a handful of races ever.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
6l90 is fine so far, havent beat on it to hard.

Manual is just a would be fun thing. Rowing through gears on a quick manual would be pretty sweet with a diesel. Other half is to try something new for a challenge on the car. With the light weight of the car compared to a truck a built up T-56 i think it would last a while. I wont ever push more the 600hp with this car. Its just my weekend fun car, will only see a handful of races ever.

What we're saying is you're already at the rated RWTQ limits of 99% of T56 units..........

Typically in a gas car to get to that RWTQ it's well north of 1k hp, for an LML that's a hot tune and boom you're damn near there.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
^^ yup.

I mean, you could go radical and do all kinds of air flow and valve train mods to make the diesel rev to 5-5.5k while still making power. That would detorque it and make some wicked noises

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
Torque breaks things… parts or tires… 800ft/lbs in a 4400lbs car will be a blast on the street. Try something new so we can all have fun!