LML Crank Nightmares

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
Hey guys,

I have been daily driving a 11 LML that I bought from original owner with over 600,000 miles on it, I am at 705,000 miles now. At 675 or so it needed head gaskets, so I did ARP studs, grade Cs, hsp piping kit couple other small upgrades and CP3 swapped (had original CP4 in it šŸ˜…). Anywho fast forward a bit and it hits 704,500 and breaks the crank at the back. Iā€™m not complaining it lasted 700+ and Iā€™d just added a pile more cylinder pressure too it etc. So found a ā€œgood usedā€ 150,000 mile motor to swap. Ended up that one had one bad piston (cracked) so we swapped in one of the others and put it in. It went about 500 miles on this motor and this cranks now also brokenā€¦ā€¦..

Iā€™m looking for a couple answers and I know Iā€™ll get them here.
1 - Can I use a LB7 short block (I have a couple and they arenā€™t drug money like a LML) and swap the LML heads etc onto it.

2 - Is it just poor luck that the spare motor broke the crank also? Or is there anything specific truck side that anyone can think of that would cause the issues with cranksā€¦

Thanks as always,

Rob

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What were the "other small upgrades" that added cylinder pressure to the first engine, Rob? Did you carry over those same mods to the new engine?
Also, the cracked piston in the new engine leads me to believe that one had issues before you installed it, so it may have been living on borrowed time in the first place.

Reactions: 036.6turbo

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
What were the "other small upgrades" that added cylinder pressure to the first engine, Rob? Did you carry over those same mods to the new engine?
Also, the cracked piston in the new engine leads me to believe that one had issues before you installed it, so it may have been living on borrowed time in the first place.
Biggest things were the new head gaskets and studs since it needed head gaskets, the HSP air bundle, downpipe, and a drop in Midwest/CRT charger. Everything went onto the ā€œnewā€ engine except the charger it was far too loud for me.

Iā€™d have to agree Iā€™m just curious on opinions far smarter than mine! Hoping I can use one of the LB7s I have here but Iā€™ve heard multiple yes and noā€™s!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
stock power level still though?

you will run into getting the water pump hose to fit correctly, might be a simple fix or might not be. the reluctor wheels need to be changed on the crank and cam to match the lml which to make it simple, the cam gear needs to be changed to LML. the mid plate will need to be changed or left alone depending on how you have the egr cooler setup. there might be some other small differences but shouldnt be major. the LML heads should bolt right to the LB7 block and as should the accessories.

if it were me, id put the LML oil pump, pan, front cover and all that jazz on the LB7. you get a better oil pump and more flow from it.

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
stock power level still though?

you will run into getting the water pump hose to fit correctly, might be a simple fix or might not be. the reluctor wheels need to be changed on the crank and cam to match the lml which to make it simple, the cam gear needs to be changed to LML. the mid plate will need to be changed or left alone depending on how you have the egr cooler setup. there might be some other small differences but shouldnt be major. the LML heads should bolt right to the LB7 block and as should the accessories.

if it were me, id put the LML oil pump, pan, front cover and all that jazz on the LB7. you get a better oil pump and more flow from it.
Yessir just tuned and deleted single tow tune in it. The big thing Iā€™ve heard is the engine mounts are different?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yessir just tuned and deleted single tow tune in it. The big thing Iā€™ve heard is the engine mounts are different?
yeah, just did a quick search and the pass side mount seems to be a big issue...