LML cp3 conversion troubles

diesel vein

Apr 2, 2011
So I know I'm still considered a new guy but I do have some street cred on duramax forums if yall hate on me. I have done a couple of these conversions with little to no trouble and some not even having to be retuned to run well. I have been putting in stock lbz pumps.
This is a 2016 cab and chassis that had the classic cp4 failure. I installed lbz pump and new lml injectors and started and ran like a top, but anything above +- 10percent throttle it will stutter and stumble and shake and almost die out. Sometimes it will. I thought, well maybe it needs retuned. Nope... same thing. I isolated the pulp return line to rule out a kink, isolated the fuel tank and sucked fuel out of a bucket into the fuel filter, no codes, desired and actual rail pressure are very close through it all. I replaced the fpr on the pump to be sure, and removed the regulator on the rail and cleaned. Wasnt very dirty....
I sweated on this beast all day and am out of gas on it. Wow. Does anybody have some suggestions. At idle it will rev to 3k for a second then cut out sputter and rattle and almost die. Then with it floored will hold at about 1500 to 2000 rpm but runs awful while it does. Purrs like a kitty at idle. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G889A using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Did you clean out the rails and lines from any metal particles ?

What is the commanded and actual fuel pressure when it stumbles at higher rpm?

diesel vein

Apr 2, 2011
The rails I didnt remove, the lines i did. The commanded and desired is together very close the entire time!

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
I have done quite a few and never had any problems. Is the tuning segments correct for that truck? I have seen that happen before with the wrong operating system

diesel vein

Apr 2, 2011
I double checked with the tuner ... they seemed confident the tuning was correct. It's tough finding good delete tuners any more..

Last edited by a moderator:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2007
B.C.
I’d be looking close at everything you unhooked and unplugged again.

diesel vein

Apr 2, 2011
Reman lbz. I still have the green sensor from the old pump plugged in and the plug with yellow and black wires in the lbz fpr.

diesel vein

Apr 2, 2011

This is spot on exactly what the truck is doing. Should I get more pushy with the tuner?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've seen similar problems from a bad injector return regulator. They sometimes get contaminated when the pump fails and sends metal through the system.

Reactions: Bdsankey

diesel vein

Apr 2, 2011
The return regulator is what it was. Thanks a lot y'all. My day got a lot brighter when that got fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)