LML compression test

Dustin_360

Jul 14, 2016
Anyone have a procedure for how to do a compression test on an LML? Did a search but didn't find anything all inclusive.

I've heard sometimes the glowplugs occasionally break off when you try to remove them so wondering what I can do to minimize the chances.

I'm thinking the procedure should be

Give the plugs a blast of penetrating oil
Drive for a few days
Remove all plugs hot (to minimize chances of getting stuck)
Do compression test with all glowplugs removed to reduce strain on starter
Reinstall plugs with anti sieze.

Truck only has 55K miles so thinking it's unlikely they will break off but just wanted to minimize possible problems

On LML do I need to use the key so the throttle plate is actuated open and disable the injectors? Any other way to do this to command the throttle plate open if I just wanted to use my momentary switch on the starter solenoid. I also have a V2 but didn't see a way to control the throttle plate.

What should I be getting for compression? I heard 350 on all cylinders after at least 6 cranks and not less than 300 on any cylinder.

What compression tester do you guys recommend?

Also how much difference do you think should see cold vs hot?

Thanks!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The throttle blade should default to open when it isn't powered. You can jump the relay (I have taken the cover off to manually activate them on mnay occasions) or use a remote start button on the starter to turn it over. Make sure you have a charger on the batteries during the procedure so you don't get false readings from low voltage.

Dustin_360

Jul 14, 2016
The throttle blade should default to open when it isn't powered. You can jump the relay (I have taken the cover off to manually activate them on mnay occasions) or use a remote start button on the starter to turn it over. Make sure you have a charger on the batteries during the procedure so you don't get false readings from low voltage.
Ok cool I didn't realize that. I had heard the throttle plate closed to aid in shutdown on the LML but that would certainly make thing easier. Anyone have a particular gauge kit that works well? I checked the Harbor Freight website but didn't see anything. A few on amazon but some of them look a bit questionable on quality