LLY vs LBZ Reluctor Wheel.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
3 holes on LLY, 4 holes on LBZ. 57 teeth LLY, 58 teeth LBZ.
Same apparent "timing" based on TDC indicator and timing holes.

Both based on a 60 tooth wheel, with 3 or 2 teeth removed.

Attachments

• MVC-011F.JPG
    MVC-011F.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 313
  • MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 281
  • MVC-010F.JPG
    MVC-010F.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
In the LBZ plate was there a different metal finish used? Why did GM add another tooth to the wheel? Any benefits?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
In the LBZ plate was there a different metal finish used? Why did GM add another tooth to the wheel? Any benefits?

No, it's just different. Bosch computers use 58 teeth and LB7/LLY's use 57, they are NOT interchangeable without filing off a tooth.

If you build an LBZ engine for your LB7 or LLY, you need to remove the LBZ reluctor and swap for the old style or the truck will not run.

1-solid-dmax

Apr 18, 2010
Naples
McRat..... On that pic u posted of the relucter plates side by side...... What orientation are they in? In other words, is the pic of the motor-side of the relucter plate or the damper-side of the relucter plate? Im trying to orient myself to see which tooth on mine to grind off, the upper or lower one on the gap. This is crucial because of the dial pins which locate to the crank.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
McRat..... On that pic u posted of the relucter plates side by side...... What orientation are they in? In other words, is the pic of the motor-side of the relucter plate or the damper-side of the relucter plate? Im trying to orient myself to see which tooth on mine to grind off, the upper or lower one on the gap. This is crucial because of the dial pins which locate to the crank.

In this picture you will see the holes. Also on the one to the right you will see an arrow to the one he removed. Hope that helps.

attachment.php

Sammmel

Nov 3, 2016
No, it's just different. Bosch computers use 58 teeth and LB7/LLY's use 57, they are NOT interchangeable without filing off a tooth.

If you build an LBZ engine for your LB7 or LLY, you need to remove the LBZ reluctor and swap for the old style or the truck will not run.
How do you swap if one has 4 mounting holes and the other has 3? I guess I'll grind off a tooth.

94f450sd

Apr 21, 2018
So the way I'm looking at the picture you will need to remove the tooth on the left of the gap if looking at it from the balancer side or front of motor?

You are looking at the back side of the wheel.in the picture it shows to take the bottom tooth after the gap off.in the truck with it still in place,looking through sensor hole it would be the top tooth after the gap.

I know I'm necroing an old old thread.but I been having a problem with a motor swap caused by this wheel difference.ive spent 3 days googling and searching forums to figure out what side of the wheel these pictures are showing.if I had known which tooth I'm taking off,I could have attempted doing it in the truck.instead of pulling motor back out and apart.

Hopefully I'll save somebody a lot of unnecessary trouble since this is one of the first threads Google pops up on this topic.

I have a pic of mine still bolted to the gear but unable to upload from my phone.

Jul 21, 2018
Alberta
Took tooth off

Guys,
This was great information. I took off the right tooth while the gap was at 12 o’clock as the reluctor was still mounted in the engine. Worked perfect and runs great! Thank youAAEED942-070A-450F-BE61-19B3BDA81DE9.jpg

Attachments

• AAEED942-070A-450F-BE61-19B3BDA81DE9.jpg
    AAEED942-070A-450F-BE61-19B3BDA81DE9.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 117