LLY: LLY turbo port and polish? Yellowchevy where are you!!! Lol

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Some of you may remember the IHI port and polish thread that was going couple years back. At the time I had a lb7 and did my ihi. Yellowchevy (can’t remember his name it’s been so long) helped guide me through it. I know he had been working on the newer vvt stuff. Has anyone seen a walkthrough type thread like we had for the ihi? Now I have a lly and would like to port and polish this Garrett.

I will make this the build thread. Plan is bigger compression wheel, rebuild, vanes, port and polish every inch I can like I did before.

Many I’m sure are going to say with the money I would have in this I could buy a Danville but I will say now, it’s not about that. I really enjoy doing these kinds of things and working with my hands.

Here are some pictures of the previous build. Maybe....it’s hard to load more than one picture on Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
afa189ade30ba4170ffffd419f106f5a.jpg
b831da0c947536e198e987008d4bca20.jpg

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Russ never did a write up on them or significant testing like the lb7. He’s been a busy man with work and little ones and guys were ripping his stuff off so I think he hung up the towel.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Really? Man that’s not good. He was a really big help. Nice guy too. Answered all my questions gave me tips. I been back for a couple days and I’m starting to see a trend of people getting burnt and just giving up their duramax passion. I fell off when I sold mine and as soon as I got the chance to get another truck the spark came back. Lol sounds corny but I forgot how much I enjoyed tinkering with these to make them better.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Should be plenty of info between what’s been posted here and what’s on the ford sites. I almost did my LBZ, but just didn’t have the time and couldn’t do it much cheaper then getting a Danville.

Jun 27, 2017
Nebraska
I did an LLY with billet wheel, 10 blade turbine, Danville vanes, and did my own port and polish, I should be ready to fire it up in 3-4 weeks. It’s getting paint now. It has a compound kit though, so it won’t be a great comparison

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I’m not sure when exactly I’m going to pull it and start working on the turbo. Probably in the next few weeks. I put studs, Gaskets, downpipe, egr delete, pcv reroute on the truck so far. So pulling the charger should be easier this time.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Russ never did a write up on them or significant testing like the lb7. He’s been a busy man with work and little ones and guys were ripping his stuff off so I think he hung up the towel.

Bingo James!!!:thumb::thumb:
People quit calling me and I would get alot how to do this stuff when I was trying to make money for my family.

We had another little dude as well and there was no money in it so I had to go back to the construction field. We got moved to Pennsylvania in August for a job and there's NO time for that stuff... Before we moved I threw away EVERYTHING!!!! I've got a few billet wheels left I couldn't sell before we left.

My family is more important so I had to give up on what I was doing so I could do what's best for them.

I don't miss doing it at all..

Russell

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I can’t believe all that happened. I’m just as guilty as all the others that ripped you for information. At the time I wasn’t aware you were doing it for a living or I wouldn’t have bothered asking how to and I would’ve sent the turbo to you. Wish I would’ve had a heads up beforehand or I wouldn’t have called you out like I did here. Sorry for everything guy :hug:

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
It does suck for sure. I was unaware Russell got out as well and when I called him a few weeks ago I wanted to send him my turbo for his awesome work when he gave me the run down on the whole scenario of what happened and why he got out. But he was still kind enough to give me his time and plenty of tips which is worth way more than the thank you I gave him at the end of our conversation.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I can’t believe all that happened. I’m just as guilty as all the others that ripped you for information. At the time I wasn’t aware you were doing it for a living or I wouldn’t have bothered asking how to and I would’ve sent the turbo to you. Wish I would’ve had a heads up beforehand or I wouldn’t have called you out like I did here. Sorry for everything guy :hug:

No worries at all guys, life happens.
Like I messaged you Greg, the last few years alot of life has happened and alot money/time has been lost on ventures that didn't go so well...
All I can say is I hope no one out there goes through the shit and expensive I've dealt with...

Russell